Academic Support Volunteering
We are seeking university students, corporates and members of the local community to volunteer as Academic Support Tutors to support primary and secondary students during our after-school sessions.
Our after-school Academic Support Programme provides free tutoring and support to young people in a stimulating classroom environment. Young people receive tailored help with homework, coursework, revision and study skills.
Volunteer tutors are an integral part of our centres. Volunteers act as role models, supporting academic progress and providing inspiration and encouragement to young people for whom university education is not necessarily a common expectation.
Volunteers are invited to indicate a preference for supporting a particular age group. Our sessions are separated into primary (age 7-10) and secondary (age 11+).
We ask volunteers to commit one session per week, for at least 12 weeks over the academic year. Primary Academic Support opens from 3:30pm to 5pm on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Secondary Academic support runs from 4pm to 5.30pm on Monday and Thursday.
This role would suit someone who has:
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- An approachable and friendly character
- The ability to inspire and motivate young people
- A passion for supporting disadvantaged young people
- The ability to build a relationship with a young person.
Our tutors must have a minimum Grade C in English and Maths GCSE.
1. Full training before starting your role, plus ongoing support and training opportunities throughout.
2. Work with an award-winning education charity and receive official recognition for your commitment through our accreditation scheme.
3. The opportunity to make a real difference to the lives of young people.
When do I need to be available?
|Details||Primary Academic Support opens from 3:30pm to 5pm on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Secondary Academic support runs from 4pm to 5.30pm on Monday and Thursday|
Where does this role take place?
St Andrew's Church Hall
- Black and Minority Ethnic Communities
- Civic Responsibility and Communities
- Employment, Education and Training
- Young People
- Disabled Access
- Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
- Health and Safety
- Insurance Cover for Volunteers
- Appropriate for (e.g. 18+, LGBT, BME, Women only)
- Suitable for a group of volunteers
- Support on Offer