Appropriate Adult Volunteer
West Sussex County Council - Youth Justice Service
Ever thought about volunteering with young people? Could you be an Appropriate Adult?
- Over 19 years old?
- Live within 30 minutes of Worthing custody suite in Durrington?
- Able to commit to volunteering for at least one year?
- Able to build a good rapport with young people?
- Non-judgemental & good at listening?
You could be what we are looking for!
Appropriate Adults support young people aged 10 –17 when they have been arrested and held in police custody in West Sussex.
- Support and assist the young person.
- Ensure the young person understands their rights.
- Ensure that the police act fairly and respect the rights of the young person.
- Ensure effective communication between the young person, police and others.
- Raise any concerns around the safety and well-being of the young person.
How it works
We operate a rota system with - with daytime and evening sessions, 7 days a week. We ask you to commit to being available for at least 4 sessions a month - at times that fit in with your other commitments.
When you volunteer for a session, you will be on call - and may or may not be needed. If you are called, you will need to go directly to the Worthing Custody Suite in Durrington to support a young person who is being held in custody.
You will be fully trained for this role. The next training day is being held in May 2021 - dates to be confirmed.
We are looking for people who:
- Are over 19 years old
- Live within a 30-minute journey of Worthing custody suite.
- Have an interest in, and empathy for, young people.
- Have a non-judgemental attitude.
- Have good communication skills.
- Are able to be appropriately assertive.
- Can take a professional approach to the role
- Are able to respect and operate within service policies and procedures.
- Have a commitment to, and engagement with, ongoing support, training and development.
- The chance to gain first-hand experience of police procedures and the youth justice system.
- Full training, ongoing support and role development sessions.
- Reimbursement of transport cost and/or mileage allowance @45p/mile.
You will need to have access to a computer, phone and broadband for us to be able to contact you about your sessions and when you're on call.
When do I need to be available?
|Details||We ask that you: - commit to this role for at least a year once you have been trained. -make yourself available for a minimum of 4 sessions each month.|
Where does this role take place?
Worthing Custody Centre
- Black and Minority Ethnic Communities
- Crime, Victims and Offenders
- Health and Social Care
- Mental Health
- No specific interest
- Young People
- Supporting People and Befriending
- Disabled Access
- Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
- Health and Safety
- Insurance Cover for Volunteers
- Suitable for 13 - 16 years
- Suitable for 16 - 18 years
- Suitable for a group of volunteers
Suitable only for (e.g. 18+, LGBT, BAME, Women only)
- Support on Offer
- This role is adaptable for different abilities