Arts and Crafts Volunteer
Carers Centre for Brighton & Hove
Do you have a skill that you could share?
Can you spare an hour a week?
Could you help an unpaid carer to learn a new skill?
The Carers Reablement Project from the Carers Centre for Brighton and Hove are looking for volunteers with an interest in arts and crafts who could support an unpaid carer to learn a new skill or hobby and achieve positive changes in their lives.
You will be matched with an unpaid carer, who is looking after a family member, or friend to support them to learn a skill or hobby they have chosen. You will generally meet for an hour a week over a period of six to ten weeks to work towards a clearly defined goal. The meetings take place in the carer’s home or in the local community.
Goals could be anything from supporting them to take up painting
or drawing or to develop their photography skills - we also cover other interests
and skills. You can choose what skills you would like to offer.
Enabling a carer to learn a new skill is very rewarding and will allow you to gain experience and develop your own skills.
You will receive out of pocket expenses, training and regular group supervision.
- A patient and enthusiastic individual who has a willingness to support and enable others to work towards their chosen goal.
- You should be reliable, friendly, open minded and be able to work within personal and professional boundaries.
- You will have a couple of hours a week free to meet with a carer one to one in their home or in the community.
Benefits of the Opportunity:
- Develop and gain new skills including mentoring
- Put your skills to use and make a lasting difference to someone's life
- Meet and work with new and interesting people.
When do I need to be available?
- Advice and Information
- Practical Skills
- Supporting People and Befriending
- Teaching and Training
Meetings take place in the carers own home or in the community. If meeting in the community e.g. library there will be disabled access, but this may not be possible for individual homes
Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
We have an equal opportunities policy
We provide out of pocket travel expenses
Health and Safety
We have a Health and Safety policy
Induction and ongoing training provided
Insurance Cover for Volunteers
We hold public liability and employers liability insurance that covers volunteers
Suitable only for (e.g. 18+, LGBT, BAME, Women only)
Must be 17+
- Suitable for a group of volunteers
Support on Offer
Regular group supervision with the volunteer coordinators. Volunteer Coordinators are also available during working hours for support
You will receive a comprehensive induction training including Safeguarding and Boundaries, with further training available if required.