Attendance Allowance Form Filler
Age UK West Sussex and Brighton & Hove
Good at filling out forms? Good with older people? Want to make a big difference to older people's quality of life? Able to commit 2-3 hours a week? If so, read on...
Our Information & Advice service helps older people claim Attendance Allowance.
Attendance Allowance is a benefit that can be claimed by older people with health problems who require support and care at home to be able to remain living independently. The form is quite lengthy and to fill it in well you need a thorough understanding of how the benefit works. Because of this older people are either often put off claiming or do not receive the benefit even though their health problems would suggest they should be entitled to it.
You will either visit clients in their own homes OR complete forms at one of our offices or outreach locations.
Your responsibilities will be:
- Interviewing older people and their carers or family about their health and care needs.
- Completing Attendance Allowance claim forms for clients.
- Providing guidance to clients on ‘next steps’ to be taken after the completion of an Attendance Allowance claim form to progress their application.
- Updating our database with the actions you've taken and liaising with key staff.
- You may also be responsible for arranging appointments to visit clients in their own homes, following our lone working policy and keeping the team updated on the location and time appointment arranged.
You should be available to provide at least one form filling session per week (approximately 2–3 hours).
Full training and on-going support will be provided.
This role would suit somebody with previous experience of completing complex forms or supporting individuals with complex needs.
People who have previously worked in the public sector, for example the local council, the Department for Work and Pensions, the Health Service, the emergency services or in a regulated care setting, would be particularly suited to the role. But we're interested to hear from people with other relevant experience too.
Any potential volunteer must be able to demonstrate:
- Confidence with using IT - able to use our bespoke database, Microsoft teams, and complete forms on line.
- Literacy and basic numeracy skills.
- The ability to understand written information and explain things clearly without using jargon or being patronising.
- A commitment to ensuring that customers are provided with accurate, relevant and timely information and support.
- The ability to write clear notes and records.
- A methodical and orderly approach.
- An open-minded approach to individuals, avoiding judgement and stereotyping while demonstrating patience and empathy.
- A willingness to undertake training and e-learning on Safeguarding, Confidentiality, Equality and Diversity in addition to all role specific training.
You will need to be willing to undergo a DBS check if working in clients’ homes.
- You will be helping the Information & Advice service support older people to claim Attendance Allowance, which will help them to live independently.
- You will be part of a lovely team of staff and volunteers and will have the chance to meet new people and make new friends.
- And you will gain experience of supporting older people which may help you find a job in this field if that's important to you.
There are three locations you can do this role in:
- The homes of the older people you are supporting. You will need your own transport to do this. We will reimburse travel expenses.
- At our main office in Prestonville Road in Brighton.
- At one of our outreach locations around the West Sussex, Brighton and Hove.
When you get in touch we can discuss which of these options would work best for you.
We do ask that you attend training and supervision meetings either online or at our Brighton office.
When do I need to be available?
|Details||We ask that you provide at least one form filling session a week - this takes about 2-3 hours.|
Where does this role take place?
29-31 Prestonville Road
- Advice and Information
- Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
- Health and Safety
- Insurance Cover for Volunteers
- Suitable for 13 - 16 years
- Suitable for 16 - 18 years
- Suitable for a group of volunteers
- Support on Offer
- This role is adaptable for different abilities