Befriender - for a person with disabilities
Fethneys, in Worthing, is one of the many services we run in across the UK. It is a residential home for ten adults with severe physical disabilities and acquired brain injuries.
The people who live at Fethneys are supported to be independent, healthy and active. There’s something for everyone and our great team of staff and volunteers run individual and group activities, including independent living training.
We are looking for more volunteers to join this lovely team, as befrienders.
Your role will be supporting adults with physical disabilities to get involved in their chosen activities. Activities may take place within the person’s home or within the community.
You don't need to have done this kind of role before. We are looking for people who have:
- Positive attitude to working with disabled people
- Good interpersonal skills
And you must be:
- Reliable and trustworthy
- Open to learning new skills
- Willing to attend training
- Committed to working within our aims, values, policies and procedures.
We provide you with a full induction training including;
- Information on Leonard Cheshire
- Leonard Cheshire’s policies and procedures, including boundaries
- Disability rights & Communication
- Safeguarding of Vulnerable Adults (SOVA)
We also expect you to attend regular review and support meetings every three months.
This is a lovely opportunity to make a real difference to the quality of life of a person living with severe disabilities.
You will meet new people and have the chance to make new friends.
This is really good experience if you're thinking of a career in health and social care.
We will need to carry out an enhanced DBS Check (Data Barring Service) on you before you can start. So we will need you to provide some identification documents; and we also ask for two references.
When do I need to be available?
|Details||Suggested commitment is 2/3 hours weekly, however, volunteers are able to give their time flexibly depending on the volunteering opportunity, but a regular commitment is appreciated.|
Where does this role take place?
9 Farcombe Road
- Supporting People and Befriending
- Disabled Access
- Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
- Health and Safety
- Insurance Cover for Volunteers
- Suitable for 13 - 16 years
- Suitable for 16 - 18 years
- Suitable for a group of volunteers
- Suitable only for (e.g. 18+, LGBT, BAME, Women only)
- Support on Offer
- This role is adaptable for different abilities