We are looking for volunteer befrienders who are willing to offer a listening ear, a non-judgemental attitude and kindness to people affected by homelessness in Worthing or Horsham.
You will be matched with an individual and asked to meet up once or twice a fortnight for an hour or two at a time that suits you both. Your companionship can help build confidence and reduce the isolation many homeless people experience.
We will ask you to:
- provide support, encouragement and guidance to your friend around taking part in social, recreational activities.
- build a relationship based on trust and companionship.
- maintain boundaries.
- be reliable and provide as much warning as possible whenever you are unable to volunteer.
- communicate with the team leaders and raise any concerns immediately.
- respect your befriendee’s right to confidentiality.
We will give you training in: professional boundaries, coproduction, equalities and diversity and safeguarding. And other online/reading material will be provided to help you in your role.
Post-meeting support will be provided via the phone and email.
The Befriending Scheme would have no fixed end. However, the support will be reviewed after six weeks to check both of you are satisfied with the relationship, and at any time after that if either you or your befriendee wishes to have a review.
To become one of our befrienders you should:
- have good interpersonal skills which include an approachable manner.
- have good listening skills.
- be flexible and adaptable.
- be patient.
- be consistent, reliable, trustworthy and honest.
- be able to maintain boundaries within a befriending relationship.
- have a non-judgemental attitude.
- have empathy.
- have an ability to deal with stressful and difficult situations in a calm manner.
- have willingness to help raise self-esteem and confidence through a positive befriending relationship.
- have a willingness to participate in initial and ongoing training sessions.
You must also be over 18 years of age.
- This is a great opportunity to make a difference to the life of someone experiencing homelessness.
- You will get the chance to meet new people.
- You will benefit from excellent training and support.
Reasonable expenses can be covered. This can be discussed with the Team Leaders.
If you're interested, we will have an initial chat to see if it's the right role for you and then ask you to complete an application form with two references. We also need to carry out an Enhanced DBS check.
When do I need to be available?
|Details||Due to the nature of this role a commitment for a minimum of 6 months is preferred. We ask you to meet with your friend for 1 or 2 hours, weekly or fortnightly and on day and time that suits you both. You will also be asked to participate in group feedback and supervision sessions.|
Where does this role take place?
Worthing or Horsham
- Supporting People and Befriending
- Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
- Health and Safety
- Insurance Cover for Volunteers
- Suitable for 13 - 16 years
- Suitable for 16 - 18 years
- Suitable for a group of volunteers
Suitable only for (e.g. 18+, LGBT, BAME, Women only)
You must 18 or over
- Support on Offer
- This role is adaptable for different abilities