Bilingual Telephone Befriending - Bengali Speaker
Sussex Interpreting Services
Opportunity for volunteering from home.
Do you speak Bengali and English? Do you have a few hours a month to spare to support a Bengali speaker, who is feeling lonely and isolated? If so - read on.
Together Co Befriending and SIS recognizes how valuable a phone call can be in relieving isolation and other social stresses. It demonstrates that there is still someone there to talk to and who cares.
People with language needs can feel particularly isolated. They often have few people who they can connect with because of the language barrier.
Telephone befriending is an altruistic, social arrangement in order to make a real difference to one person's life. The emphasis for Befriending is more about having positive social experiences than providing practical support.
What will I be doing?
Befrienders are there to help take scheme members' mind off their everyday problems by providing opportunities to have a chat with someone outside of their immediate family or social care professionals, and to put a smile back on their face.
Befrienders play an important role in helping the scheme member to regain a sense of purpose and direction, boosting their confidence by connecting them with the community.
- Telephone Befrienders need to be fairly fluent in both English and the target language.
- Befrienders need to have time, motivation and energy in order to create what can be a special and unique relationship.
- The role requires patience, flexibility, understanding, mutual trust and respect.
- Opportunity to support someone who is particularly in need during the Covid-19 crisis, and to make a positive difference in their experience of the crisis.
- To get to know a new person from your language community.
- To potentially discover shared interests and pursuits with the person.
- Telephone calls to be made from volunteer's home.
- We will provide a full manual and the chance to ask any particular questions via an initial meeting with the Befriending Service Coordinator.
- The Coordinator will also be available for regular support and guidance throughout the duration of the Befriending Scheme.
When do I need to be available?
|Details||There is not a specific time during the week which you will need to be available for this volunteer role - you will just need to agree a specific time to talk with the scheme member you are matched with.|
- Supporting People and Befriending
- Disabled Access
Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
For volunteers who do not have unlimited minutes, they can claim 5p/minute.
Health and Safety
- Insurance Cover for Volunteers
- Suitable for 13 - 16 years
- Suitable for 16 - 18 years
- Suitable for a group of volunteers
Support on Offer
- This role is adaptable for different abilities