BME Creative Writers
Black and Minority Ethnic Young People's Project (BMEYPP)
The Black and Minority Ethnic Young People's Project (BMEYPP) works with young people who are Black, Asian, Arab and Mixed Heritage aged 11 to 25 in Brighton and Hove. We work alongside young people to provide safe BME spaces where young people can access information, advice and support and to talk about any issues they are experiencing, and to take part in fun activities.
The BMEYPP is in the process of producing a book, by members, about their lives as BAME young people living in Brighton and Hove, and what is important to them. We are looking for creative writers, who can support the project by delivering workshops to encourage them in their writing. We are hoping to include various styles such as poetry, prose, interviewing, comic book, spoken word, lyrics.
This opportunity is open to creative writers who may be young people themselves, as well as adults.
We are looking for people with the following attributes:
- Skills in creative writing of any style
- Experience of working with young people aged 11 to 16 in informal youth work settings is desirable but not essential
- Able to be non judgemental and listen to young people and to get the best from them
- Enthusiastic and highly motivated
- A good sense of humour
- Able to work within our principles of anti discriminatory practice
- Someone who is Black, Asian, Arab or Mixed Heritage in order to reflect our membership criteria and be a positive role model for our members.
You will be working alongside a team of dedicated and experienced youth workers who will support you in your role.
The BMEYPP will offer you induction and training in working with BME young people, so you may be a suitable candidate if you do not have experience of working with young people, but are willing to learn.
- Opportunities to have fun whilst being part of an exciting and unique project project
- Opportunities to develop experience and skills in facilitating work with young people and add value to your CV
- Make a difference to lives of young people.
This opportunity will take place at our weekly drop in sessions which take place at Palmeria Square.
The sessions are 5.30pm to 8.30pm, you may not have to attend the whole sessions.
This area is well served by local buses, parking in the area is limited.
When do I need to be available?
|Details||Wednesdays between 5.30pm to 5.30pm|
- Disabled Access
- Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
- Health and Safety
- Insurance Cover for Volunteers
- Suitable for 13 - 16 years
- Suitable for 16 - 18 years
- Suitable for a group of volunteers
Suitable only for (e.g. 18+, LGBT, BAME, Women only)
- Support on Offer
- This role is adaptable for different abilities