BME Tutor/Mentor for Education Support Project
Black and Minority Ethnic Young People's Project (BMEYPP)
The Black and Minority Ethnic Young People's Project (BMEYPP) works with young people who are Black, Asian, Arab and Mixed Heritage aged 11 to 25.
Covid-19 has disproportionately affected people from Black and Asian communities. Also young people are experiencing many challenges as a result of the virus and and Lockdown.
Some of our members have been out of school and college for six months and are concerned about missing out on their education. They recognise the impact on their futures and want to catch up on what they have missed.
We are looking for people to take on the role of volunteer tutors in a range of subjects and at all levels from Year 6 to Year 12.
Tutors may be students, adults or young people themselves who wish to volunteer. They may offer tutoring in a specific subject or general homework support.
Young people can volunteer as tutors to help out younger members and may also receive tutor support. We are developing a community of mutual support.
The BMEYPP are passionate about the education of young Black and Asian Minority Ethnic young people. We understand challenges they experience and we play a role in supporting our members to deal with these. We are looking for people who are Black, Asian, Arab or Mixed Heritage who can be positive role models to our members.
- Have in interest, willingness and commitment to support young people aged 11 to 21.
- Be able to relate well to people including young people
- Have the ability to be open minded and non judgemental
- Have the ability to maintain boundaries with young people
- Have good communication skills including active listening and be prepared to pass on academic information in a way others can understand.
- Be passionate about education and understand its importance especially for young Black people.
- Have patience, empathy and sensitivity
- A fun outlook on life to pass on to others as well as the ability to inspire others.
- We are developing a project that builds on mutual support within Black and Asian Minority Ethnic communities.
- This volunteering opportunity will help you feel good about making a positive contribution to your community
- Full induction and training will be provided to help you feel confident and you will have access to further training and development.
- This opportunity is very suitable to those who are considering a future career working with young people.
- Expenses will be paid
- The BMEYPP is a fun organisation to volunteer with.
Tutoring sessions are flexible and can take place when agreed between you and the young person who is being tutored. They may take place online or face to face at socially distanced meetings
You will need to be available to attend induction training sessions - more details will be provided.
When do I need to be available?
|Details||Sessions will be arranged between yourself and the individual you are working with|
- Teaching and Training
- Disabled Access
- Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
- Health and Safety
- Insurance Cover for Volunteers
- Suitable for 13 - 16 years
- Suitable for 16 - 18 years
- Suitable for a group of volunteers
Suitable only for (e.g. 18+, LGBT, BAME, Women only)
- Support on Offer
- This role is adaptable for different abilities