BMEYPP Arts and Crafts Volunteer to support drop in sessions
Black and Minority Ethnic Young People's Project (BMEYPP)
The Black and Minority Ethnic Young People's Project (BMEYPP) works with young people who are Black, Asian, Arab and Mixed Heritage aged 11 to 25 in Brighton and Hove. We work alongside young people to provide safe BME spaces where young people can access information, advice and support and to talk about any issues they are experiencing, and to take part in fun activities.
The aim of this role is to support our weekly drop in sessions by facilitating arts and crafts activities with young people. We use arts and crafts to enable young people to explore issues around culture and identity, as well as to enable them to learn new arts skills. In the past we have delivered graffitti arts, candle making, tee shirt printing, glass painting. We are open to suggestions for other activities. The volunteer will work alongside the staff and volunteers at the drop in and may attend as a one off (particularly if you have a special skill you can share) or on a more regular basis.
We are looking for someone with the following attributes:
- Skills in arts and crafts
- Experience of working with young people aged 11 to 16 in informal youth work settings is desirable but not essential
- Able to be non judgemental and listen to young people
- Enthusiastic and highly motivated
- A good sense of humour
- Able to work within our principles of anti discriminatory practice
- A person who is Black, Asian, Arab or Mixed Heritage in order to reflect our membership criteria and be a positive role model for our members.
You will be working alongside a team of dedicated and experienced youth workers who will support you in your role.
The BMEYPP will offer you induction and training in working with BME young people, so you may be a suitable candidate if you do not have experience of working with young people, but are willing to learn.
- Opportunities to have fun whilst being part of an exciting and unique project project
- Opportunities to develop experience and skills in facilitating work with young people and add value to your CV
- Make a difference to lives of young people.
The sessions currently take place at Palmeria Square which is well served by local buses. There is limited street parking nearby.
The sessions currently take place on Wednesdays 5.30 to 8.30pm
When do I need to be available?
|Details||The current sessions are Wednesdays 5.30 to 8.30pm|
- Disabled Access
- Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
- Health and Safety
- Insurance Cover for Volunteers
- Suitable for 13 - 16 years
- Suitable for 16 - 18 years
- Suitable for a group of volunteers
Suitable only for (e.g. 18+, LGBT, BAME, Women only)
- Support on Offer
- This role is adaptable for different abilities