Board of Trustees Role
Possability People is a user led organisation that promotes independent living for all. We work towards equality by inspiring disabled people to identify barriers and define solutions.
Trustees have overall legal responsibility for how a Charity is run and they work closely with the Management team to ensure that a Charity operates to the best of its abilities and complies with its charter and all legislation. Our Trustees meet quarterly and also attend the AGM. It is helpful if Trustees can support and attend other meeting and events throughout the year.
The Trustee role includes ensuring the charity pursues its objective of making all things possible regardless of ability, giving firm strategic direction, ensuring financial stability and legal compliance and working with the Chief Officer and team.
As the charity is peer lead, 75% of the Trustees must identify as disabled. This lived experience is valuable and we are also keen to strengthen the board with professional skills drawn from Finance, Fundraising, or Law, although people from a variety of backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
In addition to the statutory duties, each trustee should use any specific skills, knowledge or experience they have to help the board of trustees reach sound decisions. This may involve:
- Scrutinising board papers
- Leading discussions with members
- Feeding back views of the membership
- Focusing on key issues
- Providing guidance on new initiatives
- Other issues in which the trustee has special expertise.
Those wishing to become a Trustee should be able to provide a commitment to the organisation and a willingness to speak their mind. Leadership skills and experience of committee work would be a bonus together with good communication and interpersonal skills, tact and diplomacy.
- Making a difference to disabled people's lives in Brighton and Hove and beyond
- Training given to enhance skills and experience
- Volunteering with a committed team of staff and volunteers.
The charity operates across several sites, mostly in Brighton and Hove, with board meetings usually held at our Seven Dials office. Trustees can attend meetings via Zoom.
All of our sites are fully accessible. Trustees can attend meetings via Zoom.
Travel expenses paid.
When do I need to be available?
|Details||Trustee meetings held quarterly, usually Wednesday early evening. AGM held early December. Trustees are also encouraged to attend and support other events and meetings throughout the year.|
Where does this role take place?
- Trusteeship and Committee Work
All sites ground floor and fully accessible. Accessible toilet at teach site. Additional resonable adjustments available.
- Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
- Health and Safety
- Insurance Cover for Volunteers
- Suitable for 13 - 16 years
- Suitable for 16 - 18 years
- Suitable for a group of volunteers
- Support on Offer
- This role is adaptable for different abilities