Book Makers Pop-Up Bookshop Volunteer
Do you have a passion for books and reading? Are you interested in helping to run a bookshop?Short term opportunity from July 14th to the end of December .
We are an arts organisation and charity, specialising in supporting creative people, underrepresented artists and communities facing barriers and inequality to opportunity. Our mission is to make the arts more diverse and representative of the world we live in.
The Book Makers is a volunteer-run community pop-up bookshop, writing space, and event space where established authors will support great writing from diverse new voices. It's in the heart of Brighton on Cranbourne Street. Less than 10 minutes walk from the station.
We are looking for a small group of volunteers to help in running the bookshop, which will sell work on writing, titles published by authors associated with the project, and books published by Creative Future.
The Book Makers is open and running until the end of December 2021.
What will I be doing?
Depending on the needs of the bookshop on the day and your interests, you will be involved in the following:
- Welcoming people to the shop and helping them understand the story of the project.
- Promoting any upcoming opportunities e.g. events, readings,and workshops.
- Helping create and maintain attractive displays across the shop.
- Providing customer service on the shop floor.
- Operating point of sales system.
- Helping keep the shop clean and tidy.
It is essential that you :
- Are committed to the Book Makers values of inclusiveness.
- Have the ability to work within the Book Makers policies and shop guidelines.
You do not need specific skills and experience but the following will be useful:
- Enthusiasm for reading.
- Knowledge of books and authors.
- Ability to work well as part of a team and under own initiative.
- Opportunity to utilise and develop your portfolio of skills and experience.
- Deepen your knowledge about books, authors and the publishing industry.
- Gain valuable experience in retail.
- Volunteers would need to commit at least a half-day per week.
- Each volunteer will always be working with a member of the core team and will receive training where required.
When do I need to be available?
|Details||The pop-up shop will run from 14th July - end of December. The shop opening hours are Wednesday - Saturday 10am - 5pm. Volunteers will need to commit to at least a half-day per week. Volunteer time slots are: AM session is 9.45am - 1.45pm, PM session is 1.30pm - 5.30pm.|
Where does this role take place?