Historical Research Volunteer
Brighton Dome and Festival
The Grade I listed Brighton Dome has had many guises over its 200-year history. We are looking for volunteers to help us uncover some of the hidden histories of these iconic buildings through an in-depth research project. Your research will directly contribute to material that appears in the newly re-opened Corn Exchange and Studio theatre and in future exhibitions.
Research Volunteers will be looking at a number of stories around the architecture of Brighton Dome and Corn Exchange, from the ancient history of the land and its use as a Quaker burial ground to the individual stories of the grooms, stable-hands and servants of the Prince’s Royal Stables, to the Regency era’s fascination with the ‘East’ and ‘Orientalism’.
The Historical Research Volunteers will:
- Look through existing Brighton Dome and Festival research including notes, documents and images, and pull together this material in one place.
- Carry out independent research: Online / at libraries / using books / using documents and images from the Royal Pavilion and Museums, and Brighton Dome and Festival
- Work with specialist staff at Brighton Dome and Festival and at the Royal Pavilion and Museums and provide updates on their work.
- The role could include future visits to The Keep at Falmer, and the Royal Pavilion and Brighton Museum to look through their resources.
- Present your work to the public at our Heritage Open Day and Remembrance Day events.
Applicants for this role should have the following skills, experience and attributes:
- an Interest in Brighton, Brighton Dome, The Royal Pavilion Estate and/or Regency History
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to use a PC and basic computer skills and programmes including Word and Excel
- Experience in basic research skills (desirable)
- Reliable and trustworthy
- Aged over 18 (for insurance purposes)
- Develop research, internet, computer and presentation skills
- Contribute to heritage and history material for the newly re-opened Brighton Dome and Corn Exchange and future exhibitions for generations to come
- Meet new people / work with Brighton Dome and Festival and Royal Pavilion and Museum staff, learning more about the behind-the-scenes workings of Brighton Dome
- Volunteering location is flexible including home, libraries or community centres with internet access or in the Brighton Dome and Festival Administration Offices :12a, Pavilion Buildings, Castle Square, Brighton, BN1 1EE.
- Occasionally volunteers may visit Brighton Jubilee Library, The Royal Pavilion and Museums and The Keep at Falmer. (Travel expenses will be reimbursed for trips outside the city centre up to £5 in agreement with the Volunteer Coordination Manager).
- This opportunity is available immediately and has the potential to be ongoing.
- Suggested commitment: 1 – 2 hours per week but can be flexible
- Brighton Dome Open Days and Events
When do I need to be available?
|Details||• Suggested Commitment: 1 - 2 hours per week with possibility of more hours when events and open days are taking place (hours can be flexible as agreed with the Volunteer Coordination Manager) • Volunteer from home and/or in the Brighton Dome and Festival Administration Offices :12a, Pavilion Buildings, Castle Square, Brighton, BN1 1EE. • Heritage Open Day (Optional) 14th September • Remembrance Day Activities 3rd November (Optional) Black History Family Day Saturday 9th November (Optional)|
Where does this role take place?
12a Pavilion Buildings
- Arts, Heritage and Entertainment
- Civic Responsibility and Communities
- No specific interest
Appropriate for (e.g. 18+, LGBT, BME, Women only)
Applicants aged 18+
BDBF have recently achieved Level 1 of the Disability Confident scheme and are currently working towards level 2. For volunteers with disabilities we would offer support around reasonable adjustments to enable them to take on volunteering opportunities with us.
- Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
Up to £5 travel for any volunteer activity outside the city centre (any other expenses agreed individually with each volunteer on a case by case basis)
- Health and Safety
- Insurance Cover for Volunteers
- Suitable for 13 - 16 years
- Suitable for 16 - 18 years
- Suitable for a group of volunteers