Brighton Practical and Emotional Support Volunteer
Macmillan Cancer Support (South and East)
People affected by cancer tell us they need local support during their cancer journey. By choosing to join us as a practical and emotional support volunteer, you’ll be doing something amazing for people at a difficult time so they can start to feel more in control. Make your time matter so that no one in Brighton faces cancer alone.
You’ll be helping someone affected by cancer who will identify the support most useful to them, which may change over time. Activities could include:
- Practical support such as helping with daily activities such as shopping and housework
- Emotional support such as listening and talking, providing a supportive relationship to help reduce feelings of isolation, offer reassurance and increase confidence.
This role involves working unsupervised in the community. Support is available from local Macmillan staff and you’ll receive an induction and training, plus access to our lone worker personal safety system.
Preferred qualities and skills
- Good listener, clear communicator and able to maintain confidentiality
- Patient, flexible and reliable
- Able to work independently with guidance and support
- Able to recognise when to ask for support
- Able to respect others’ differences and choices
What will you get out of it?
- Join an enthusiastic team of people who want to make a difference, just like you
- Have a rewarding experience making a difference to people affected by cancer in your community
- Receive an induction and ongoing training in individual and group volunteer support sessions
- Use and develop your communication and people skills, enhancing your CV
- Receive agreed out-of-pocket expenses reimbursed within our guidelines
Note: This is a regulated activity so you’ll be required to have an enhanced criminal records check.
How much time should I give?
This is flexible based on the time you have available and the needs of the people we support. You will need to be available during the service opening times, Monday to Friday 9am to 8pm. We’d suggest a few hours a week, more if you have the time, ideally for a year or more.
This role is based within the community; you will need access to a car or be able to use public transport.
When do I need to be available?