British Red Cross - Mobility Aids Spoke Volunteer
British Red Cross - Sussex
About the Mobility Aids service:
Losing your mobility through illness or injury can be very difficult and distressing. The Red Cross make a huge difference to people’s lives by providing short-term use of wheelchairs (75,000 each year in the UK) or toilet aids. This helps people to maintain their independence and quality of life when they are discharged from hospital or after an injury. It means that someone can take a relative on holiday or just out for the day.
Typical tasks for the Spoke Volunteer include:
- Liaising with the hub to arrange stock/deliveries/collections.
- Issuing and receiving wheelchairs (or other mobility aids equipment) using a computer based stock control system.
- Demonstrating how to use and look after our wheelchairs (and other equipment) > Dealing with enquiries from people wanting to borrow a wheelchair (or other equipment)
- Receiving payments / donations and issuing receipts
- Contacting service users in reference to overdue and upcoming return of equipment.
We are looking for someone who:
- ideally has a customer service background
- Enjoys meeting people and has good interpersonal skills
- Is fit and able to lift/move wheelchairs.
- Is IT-literate (or willing to learn)
- Is willing to attend induction and foundation training
- Will uphold the Fundamental Principles of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement and Red Cross policies including Equal Opportunities
- Will act in accordance with our values and behaviours framework
- Will treat people with respect and uphold their dignity.
What we offer:
- A great opportunity to develop your existing skills and gain new ones
- All training and induction for the role (there is no charge for training)
- Reasonable pre-agreed travel expenses for the role including for attending training
- An opportunity to be part of the world’s largest humanitarian organisation.
- Being the enabler to support people in the local community gain independence and support themselves
- Work in a great team of like minded individuals
- Develop new and existing skills with free training.
When do I need to be available?
Where does this role take place?
St Jospehs Business Park
St Josephs Close
- Civic Responsibility and Communities
- Health and Social Care
- No specific interest
- Older People
- Disabled Access
- Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
- Health and Safety
- Insurance Cover for Volunteers
- Suitable for 13 - 16 years
- Suitable for 16 - 18 years
- Suitable for a group of volunteers
- Support on Offer