Buddys Support Mentor
Buddys is a coffee shop that supports people with learning disabilities. This role supports the Buddys Programme Coordinator in the implementation of a training programme for people with learning disabilities. It involves supporting trainees in completing daily tasks in a live coffee shop environment to complete their course criteria.
Key responsibilities include:
- Be able to encourage confidence, self-esteem and essential life skills for learners/students.
- Support learners/students through a range of tasks and skills.
- Listen to, and communicate any issues to, your Programme coordinator.
- Understand how to use the coffee maching and till.
- Empower learners/students to complete individual tasks.
- Oversee learners/students in completing set tasks.
- Undergo any relevant training that would support you in your role as mentor.
- Promote understanding of the work of Worthing Mencap.
- Promote and apply worthing Mencap's health and safety policy.
You don't need to have previous experience of working with people with learning disabilities. One of the most important qualities is to have lots of patience.
Good communication skills are important and the ability to support a person with learning disabilities in a work/live kitchen/training environment.
Training will be provided.
- Great sense of satisfaction from helping people with a learning disability to get into the workplace.
- Buddys is a lovely happy environment and offers the chance to make new friends.
- The role offers the opportunity to gain new skills.
- A free lunch is provided in the cafe.
- Buddys is on a bus route - No. 16 - and a 10 minute walk from Worthing station.
- There is free on street parking in the side streets.
- Ideally we'd like people to volunteer from 9.30 to 2.20pm on either a Tuesday or a Thursday. But we can be flexible around the hours to suit you.
When do I need to be available?
|Details||Ideally 9.30 to 2.20 but we can be flexible to suit you|
Where does this role take place?
Buddys coffee shop
121 South Farm Road
- Cooking and Catering
- General Helping
- Practical Skills
- Supporting People and Befriending
- Teaching and Training
- Disabled Access
- Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
- Health and Safety
- Insurance Cover for Volunteers
- Suitable for 13 - 16 years
- Suitable for 16 - 18 years
- Suitable for a group of volunteers
- Suitable only for (e.g. 18+, LGBT, BAME, Women only)
- Support on Offer
- This role is adaptable for different abilities
Relevant training to be provided.