Founded in 1982, Carousel is an award-winning charity supporting learning disabled people to achieve their artistic ambitions.
Carousel believes that learning disabled artists make a vital contribution to the world we live in. It is an organisation that puts learning disabled people in control of their art: in film, music, radio, performance and production. Carousel challenges expectations of what great art is and who can create it.
Now is an exciting time to become a trustee of Carousel as we embark on a new four year plan of creative work with our learning disabled artists. It is an opportunity to extend our impact and expand our vision.
2022 is Carousel’s 40th anniversary and we intend to use this as a springboard for fundraising, raising awareness and diversifying our team and artists.
With specific experience in private business and diversity you can bring new ideas, contacts and expertise to our organisation and help it grow and thrive.
As a member of the board you will be a trustee of the charity and a director of the limited company. You will be required to have a satisfactory DBS check
You must be at least 16 years old
As a trustee you will be required to
- ensure Carousel is only carrying out its purposes for the public benefit
- contribute to planning what Carousel will do, and what it wants to achieve
- ensure Carousel is financially viable and is spending charity funds on furthering the aims and objectives
- ensure Carousel complies with charity law and other relevant laws
- not receive any benefit from the charity unless it is properly authorised and is clearly in the charity’s interests; this also includes anyone who is financially connected to you, such as a partner, dependent child or business partner
- comply with statutory accounting and reporting requirements.
This is an exciting time to join Carousel as we head into our 40th year. You will be part of a diverse team of trustees and help to develop and shape Carousel as we embark on a new 4 year plan of creative work.
We are particularly interested to find trustees with experience of private business and diversity to bring new ideas, contacts and expertise - to help our organisation grow and thrive.
There will be opportunities to attend our events and see the fantastic work of our artists.
We are based in central Brighton, a 5 minute walk from the train station and with plenty of bus routes direct to the office. We are based in the basement and there is a lift. We can support parking with advance notice.
When do I need to be available?
|Details||Carousel has trustees with and without a learning disability and we make our meetings as accessible as possible. The chair of the trustees has a learning disability. The trustees have 4 – 6 full meetings each year, as well as an AGM. Complete the application form attached and return by 30th September 2021 If invited - to come in for an informal meeting so we will be able to answer any questions you have about our work and we would like to ask you about why you are interested in joining us and what skills and interests you will bring. If invited - to come along to two trustee meetings to meet everyone and see how we work If invited – and interested to be voted on to the board of trustees Before the full meetings we have sub group meetings ● Trustee management sub-group meets regularly, one to two weeks prior to the full meeting, to discuss any issues arising that need to be discussed in more detail. This might be finances and accounts, HR, policies or broader management issues. ● Learning disabled trustees also meet regularly prior to the full meetings to spend time discussing and understanding issues on the agenda as well as to think of the questions they have and to put things they want to discuss on the agenda. Trustees are also required to attend some Carousel projects through the year and may be asked to represent Carousel at a range of events.|
- No specific interest
- Trusteeship and Committee Work
- Disabled Access
- Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
- Health and Safety
- Insurance Cover for Volunteers
- Suitable for 13 - 16 years
- Suitable for 16 - 18 years
- Suitable for a group of volunteers
- Suitable only for (e.g. 18+, LGBT, BAME, Women only)
- Support on Offer
- This role is adaptable for different abilities