Central Food Hub Volunteer Driver
Brighton and Hove City Council
Do you have some free time Thursday afternoons to make a difference?
Food Delivery Drivers with their own car needed.
Central Food Hub needs six regular volunteer drivers to deliver food parcels in the Central Brighton area.
The Central Food Hub is located within the Syndicate Wing of Brighton Centre.
Volunteer Drivers need to be available for a Thursday afternoon slot and duties include:
• Pick up boxes/bagged food from the collection point at Central Food Hub
• Deliver parcels directly to recipient's door
• Follow a contactless delivery process for safety - drivers will need to ring the doorbell/knock, step back ensuring a social distance, wait for the recipient to collect parcel
• Return used PPE and Drivers List to Central Food Hub for disposal
About the Central Food Hub
The Central Food Hub is the only council-run food parcel service in Brighton & Hove, serving residents in Central Brighton. The Central Food Hub is coordinated and managed by the council’s Community Engagement team.
Food is delivered to the hub on Wednesdays, with portioning of bulk food items and packing completed before delivering to food hub recipients on Thursdays. Food is delivered by the team’s very own e-cargo bike and volunteer drivers.
The Central Food Hub volunteer coordinator will give you a full induction before you begin any deliveries including a full tour of the hub and meet with the Central Food Hub team and fellow volunteers. Please provide your driving licence, business insurance
You will be provided with PPE including hand sanitiser, disposable gloves and masks.
If at all possible, please give the Volunteer Coordinator 48 hours’ notice if you are unable to volunteer that week.
No experience is required. We are looking for people who are:
• Reliable and trustworthy
• Have a full and valid UK Driving Licence
• Have car insurance with business insurance, valid road tax and M.O.T. certificate
This opportunity is available to people who are:
• Physically fit and have no symptoms of Covid-19
• No-one in your household has coronavirus symptoms
• You have not been asked to self-isolate or are required to shield
• Opportunity to make a difference during a challenging time
• Support your community
• Personal well-being
• Volunteer will need to have car, valid MOT and business insurance
• Car needs to have space for several food parcels (4 – 5 deliveries per week)
• Physically fit as the volunteer will be expected to lift some quite heavy parcels
• Available on a Thursday at the same allocated afternoon time slot
• Able to drive around Central Brighton – knowledge of roads is desirable but not essential
When do I need to be available?
|Details||Driver slots (arrive at Syndicate Wing at the start of time slot to collect food parcels and driver route): 12 – 1:30 12:30 – 2:00 13:00 – 14:30 14:00 – 15:30 15:00 – 16:30 16:00 – 17:30|
Where does this role take place?
Syndicate Wing, Brighton Centre
Brighton & Hove
17+ - with full valid driving licence and business insurance
- Disabled Access
- Equal Opportunities Policy
- Health and Safety
- Insurance Cover for Volunteers
- Support on Offer