Sussex Dance Network
We are an open network of contemporary dance artists creating & promoting dance opportunities in Brighton and Sussex. We were founded in 2013.
In 2020 we brought together a group of experts that include artists, activists, events managers, business people, those in positions of strategic leadership and education to form our Advisory Board. The Board is advising and championing the company on both general and specific issues to further the organisation’s aims. It has no legal responsibility but plays an integral role in the network.
We are now looking for someone to chair the Advisory Board. The Chair will hold the Board and Management Team to account for Sussex Dance Networks mission and vision, providing leadership to the Board of Trustees, ensuring that each trustee fulfills their duties and responsibilities for the effective governance of the organisation.
Please click the REGISTER YOUR INTEREST button if you'd like to know more and we'll get in touch. The deadline for applications is 11th January 2021.
The Chair will be responsible for:
- Provide leadership to the Board, ensuring that Sussex Dance Network has maximum impact for its beneficiaries
- Ensure that the Board Members fulfil their duties and responsibilities for the effective governance of the organisation
- Ensure that the Management Team continues to work towards its strategic direction, led by Members needs
- Ensure that the Board is able to regularly review major risks and associated opportunities, and satisfy itself that systems are in place to take advantage of opportunities, and manage and mitigate risks
- Ensure that the Board fulfils its duties to ensure sound financial health of the organisation, with systems in place to ensure financial accountability
- Encourage positive change and resolve any conflicts within the Board
- Appraise the performance on the Board and Artistic Director
- Work within any agreed policies adopted by the organisation
- Act as an ambassador for the cause and the organisation
- Maintain close relationships with key members of the sector and Sussex
- Act as a spokesperson for the organisation when appropriate
- Facilitate change and address any potential conflict with external stakeholders
Efficiency and Effectiveness
- Chair meetings of the Board effectively and efficiently, bringing objectivity and impartiality to decision making processes
- Ensure that Trustees are fully engaged and that decisions are taken in the best and long-term interests of the organisation and that the Board takes collective ownership
- Work closely with the Artistic Director to give direction to Board policy-making and to ensure that meetings are well planned, meaningful and reflect the responsibilities of trustees
- Monitor that decisions taken at meetings are implemented
Relationship with the Artistic Director
- Establish and build a strong, effective and a constructive working relationship with the Artistic Director, ensuring they are held to account for achieving agreed strategic objectives
- Ensure regular contact with the Artistic Director and develop and maintain an open and supportive relationship within which each can speak openly about concerns, worries and challenges
- Conduct an annual appraisal and remuneration review for the Artistic Director in consultation with other Trustees
- Ensure that the Artistic Director has the opportunity for professional development and has appropriate external professional support
We are looking for someone who can
- Exhibit strong interpersonal and relationship building abilities and be comfortable in an ambassadorial role.
- Demonstrate tact and diplomacy, with the ability to listen and engage effectively.
- Strong networking capabilities that can be utilised for the benefit of the organisation.
- Ability to foster and promote a collaborative team environment.
- Demonstrate a strong passion for the organisation’s strategic objectives and cause.
- Available to be contacted out of office hours and available to respond to requests of support promptly.
You should have experience of:
- Working towards clear strategic goals.
- Significant experience of chairing meetings and events and leading teams at high levels.
- Liaising with stakeholders.
- Knowledge and Skills.
- Recognition for impact on the cultural, business and/or artistic sector in Sussex.
- Experience in identifying ways to make organisations more inclusive.
- An interest in the dance sector.
- Good understanding of organisational governance.
- The willingness to maintain confidentiality.
When do I need to be available?
|Details||The role will involve 4 Board meetings a year and occasional support meetings with Sussex Dance Network’s Artistic Director. You should also be available to be contacted out of office hours and able to respond to requests of support promptly. Currently meetings are online due to COVID restrictions.|
- Arts, Heritage and Entertainment
- Trusteeship and Committee Work
- Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
- Health and Safety
- Insurance Cover for Volunteers
- Suitable for 13 - 16 years
- Suitable for 16 - 18 years
- Suitable for a group of volunteers
- Support on Offer
- This role is adaptable for different abilities