The E.Y.E Project (Eco, Young & Engaged)
Are you well organised? Good at admin? Want to do something about climate change? Passionate about young people's potential? If so, please read on.... this is a wonderful opportunity to make a difference to the future of the planet and our young people.
The E.Y.E. Project (Eco, Young and Engaged) educates young people about environmental sustainability in a fun, engaging way and it creates opportunities for them to take action.
We are a growing network of schools in West Sussex with an active membership of more than 20 schools (primary - Secondary).
We've achieved a lot since we started in 2008 but we're ambitious to do much more. We're relaunching the project this year so by joining now you have the opportunity to shape the future direction.
We've just employed a new Project Manager with lots of enthusiasm and ideas for how to engage more school age young people in environmental sustainability and prepare them with the knowledge and skills to contribute to a greener future when they leave school.
The project is overseen by a small committee of volunteers. We are now looking for a Committee Secretary to help us run smoothly.
The committee's role is similar to that of a board of trustees of a charity*.
- Agreeing the project's purpose and direction.
- Agreeing the action plan and budget.
- Overseeing the Project Manager's work.
- Helping develop links and partnerships.
- Agreeing fundraising policies, plans and bids.
The Committee meets every 6-8 weeks, for 1-2 hours.
As Secretary, your role will be to:
- Schedule the meetings and communicate details to committee members.
- Support the Chair in preparing the meeting agendas.
- Distribute the agendas.
- Attend committee meetings, take the minutes.
- Contribute to the committee's discussions.
- Help with other admin tasks if you have the interest and time (but this is optional).
*The project is currently constituted as an unregistered community group but we are considering applying for charitable status, so committee members may become trustees in the future.
Interested? Please click the REGISTER YOUR INTEREST button and fill in your contact details. We'll get in touch to tell you more about the project and how to apply. The deadline for applications is Sunday 28th February 2021.
You don't need to have experience of being a committee secretary. We are a small, informal project. And we can arrange training for aspects of the role which might be new to you.
We are looking for someone who has administrative experience - this could be at work or in a voluntary role. You must be:
- Well organised.
- Reliable and able to work to deadlines.
- Able to write clear, accurate and succinct minutes.
- Confident at using a computer to create, store and send documents; and at using email and the phone to communicate with committee members.
This is an ongoing role. Ideally we are looking for someone able to commit for at least a year.
- This is a wonderful opportunity to influence and support the next generation to play their part in tackling climate change.
- You will be making a difference and gaining new skills, knowledge and networks yourself.
- And you will be joining a fun and friendly bunch of people! (And the young people are amazing too!)
We are currently meeting on Zoom but hopefully it won't be too long before we can hold face to face committee meetings again. These will be in Worthing.
We are holding our AGM on 25th February 2021 at 10.30am via Zoom. If you get in touch with us before then, there will be an opportunity to observe that meeting to find out more about what we do and meet the existing committee members.
When do I need to be available?
|Details||You must be able to attend our board meetings which are held every 6-8 weeks. And you should be able to volunteer for an average of 8-10 hours a month overall.|
Where does this role take place?
Adur & Worthing
- Disabled Access
- Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
- Health and Safety
- Insurance Cover for Volunteers
- Suitable for 13 - 16 years
- Suitable for 16 - 18 years
- Suitable for a group of volunteers
- Support on Offer
- This role is adaptable for different abilities