Worthing Soup Kitchen
Are you outgoing and good at connecting with people? Do you enjoy coming up with imaginative ideas and putting them into practice? Would you like the chance to make a positive difference to homeless people in Worthing? If so, please read on...
Worthing Soup Kitichen is a small charity which provides an outreach service to homeless and other vulnerable people. Our work includes:
- Providing food parcels and basic household items on Thursday nights to 30-40 homeless people and families per week.
- Running a pop up Food Bank on Saturdays from the Lovett Hub in Durrington.
- Running a take away service at Saint Clare's Day Centre on Sunday mornings to provide a cooked breakfast and allow our clients to access services (showers and clean clothes).
- Looking to restart our sit down homeless evening meal service once a week when Covid restrictions are eased.
- Looking for premises to run an Emmaus-style project which will enable better engagement with clients and volunteers.
We received an acknowledgement from the High Sheriff of Sussex on behalf of the Queen for our work during Covid-19 when we provided food every day to those who were placed in temporary accommodation without cooking facilities.We work closely with the Worthing and Adur Outreach Team and Turning Tides.
We are now looking for a volunteer who can help connect us increase our community fundraising.
Your role will be to:
• Contact local businesses, shops, clubs and individuals inviting them to support us in various ways.
• Reach out to community organisations, colleges, and individuals to ask for donations.
• Come up with new fundraising ideas and help put them into practice.
• Maintain a list of who you've contacted and who has donated. And make sure every donor is thanked appropriately for their generosity.
• Liaise with other volunteers - especially those who keep our social media pages up to date - to share ideas, contacts, and information.
You will be part of a small, friendly team of volunteers.
If you like the sound of this role, we'd love to hear from you! Please click the REGISTER YOUR INTEREST button and we will get in touch for an informal chat.
You don't need to have done this kind of role before. We're looking for someone who is:
- Outgoing, confident and friendly. You will enjoy getting in touch with people you've not met before and telling them about our charity.
- Able to write a friendly, persuasive email or letter.
- Confident on the phone.
- Good at coming up with imaginative ideas and putting them into practice.
Ideally you will live in or near Worthing as local knowledge will really help you identify potential donors.
And you should be interested in volunteering with us for at least 3 months.
- You will have the chance to meet new people and make new friends.
- You will be contributing to supporting local homeless people.
- You will have the opportunity to gain experience which can strengthen your CV - if that's of interest to you.
When do I need to be available?
|Details||This is a really flexible role which you can fit around your other commitments.|
Where does this role take place?
- Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
- Health and Safety
- Insurance Cover for Volunteers
- Suitable for 13 - 16 years
- Suitable for 16 - 18 years
- Suitable for a group of volunteers
- Support on Offer
- This role is adaptable for different abilities