Community house food distribution volunteer
Worthing Homes Community Trust
At Worthing Homes Community, surplus food is available for local residents to collect on a daily basis. The role of the distribution volunteer would be to:
- Unpack food deliveries
- Arrange food at our pick up point
- Creating support parcels as required
- Deliver food to those who are unable to pick the food up in person
- Take pictures of the food available for the team to promote on social media.
For this role you need the following skills
- Able to perform physical tasks including lifting and loading
- Basic literacy and numeracy skills to record quantities and types of food
- Friendly and approachable communication style for when chatting with residents
- Able to work well as part of a team and happy to complete tasks independently according to instruction
- Adaptable – managing surplus can be unpredictable, so day to day tasks can vary
- Positive, friendly, and enthusiastic about tackling food waste, addressing food poverty and playing a positive role in the local community.
- This practical role has a huge impact in our local community- You will directly ensure that good quality food is not wasted and gets into the hands of the people who need it
- Have access to a wide variety of useful training, including training and experience in food handling, storage and hygiene protocols.
- Be part of a team of like-minded people and attend monthly volunteer events to socialise with fellow volunteers
- Reasonable travel expenses
- Working reference available after 3 months in the role.
Volunteer shifts are short ranging between 1.5-3 hours. Food distribution volunteers are required between the following times: Monday - Friday 08:30-11:00.
Although the times are fixed, this is a flexible opportunity which can fit alongside your other commitments. You are welcome to volunteer regularly, every now and again or on an ad hoc basis as you prefer.
When do I need to be available?
Where does this role take place?
25 Dominion road
- Community Food
- Disabled Access
- Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
- Health and Safety
- Insurance Cover for Volunteers
- Suitable for 13 - 16 years
- Suitable for 16 - 18 years
- Suitable for a group of volunteers
- Support on Offer
- This role is adaptable for different abilities