Community Neighbour Volunteer
Age UK West Sussex and Brighton & Hove
Age UK West Sussex, Brighton and Hove enable older people to Love Later Life. Our aims are to promote the wellbeing of all older people; to make later life a fulfilling and enjoyable experience and to enable people to flourish. We deliver a range of services and activities to meet older people’s needs.
As a Community Neighbour Volunteer you will be part of our Brighton Activities Team assisting older people in the city to reconnect with their local neighbourhood, regain confidence and social connections.
Your role will be to:
- Receive referrals from the Brighton & Hove Development Manager.
- Visit clients on their doorsteps and out in the local community.
- Support clients in line with Brighton & Hove Development Manager’s guidance, the client’s needs and feedback progress/issues to the Brighton & Hove Development Manager.
- Maintain logs of your interaction and submit monthly.
- Liaise closely with the Brighton & Hove Development Manager, seeking advice, guidance and support where required.
- Carry out tasks according to Age UK WS policies and standards, in particular on safeguarding, confidentiality, anti-discriminatory policies and health and safety.
- Report any concerns or safeguardings to the Brighton & Hove Development Manager and liaise appropriately.
You don't need to have done this kind of role before and you don't need any special qualifications. We provide all the training and on-going support you need.
We are looking for people who have:
- excellent listening and communication skills.
- the ability to work confidently on own initiative and know when to seek help and support.
- willingness to attend scheduled training days, Age UK volunteer induction and any other training deemed essential to the role as identified.
- commitment of at least one session/day per week is required for this role.
- Willingness to undergo a DBS check.
- This is a lovely opportunity to support an isolated older person in your community.
- You will also get the chance to meet new people and make new friends.
- And you will gain experience of supporting older people which may help you find a job in this field if that's important to you.
When do I need to be available?
|Details||This role involves taking part in training provided by Age UK West Sussex, Brighton & Hove as well as committing to supporting an older person over a number of weeks. Ideally the volunteer would be able to commit at least an hour a week for 6 months.|
Where does this role take place?
Brighton & Hove
- Supporting People and Befriending
- Disabled Access
- Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
- Health and Safety
- Insurance Cover for Volunteers
- Suitable for 13 - 16 years
- Suitable for 16 - 18 years
- Suitable for a group of volunteers
- Support on Offer
- This role is adaptable for different abilities