Customer Service Volunteer (Wheelchair Volunteer, Brighton and Hove)
British Red Cross - Sussex
If you enjoy being in an office environment, are compassionate and like meeting people, then this could be the role for you.
We need volunteers like you, so that everyone who needs one, can get a wheelchair. Each year we hire out or loan over 75,000 wheelchairs to help people to get around after an injury or illness. Whether it is to help take a relative out, or take a child to school, it makes a difficult and distressing time a little easier.
In this role you will be welcoming customers and helping them to get moving again.
What will I be doing?
- Giving a warm welcome to customers visiting or phoning us.
- Helping people wanting to hire a wheelchair or other equipment.
- Using a computer-based stock control system.
- Showing people how to use the equipment.
- Taking payments/donations.
This role involves lone working and training will be provided remotely using zoom.
The skills you need:
- Physically able to safely lift or move wheelchairs and other mobility equipment.
- Some customer service experience is desirable.
- Enjoy meeting people and have good people skills.
- Able to work independently and in a team.
- Good IT skills.
- Able to commit to a regular shift on a weekly basis.
- Meeting new people and being part of a dynamic and inclusive group.
- A great opportunity to use your existing skills or gain new ones.
- An opportunity to be part of the world's largest humanitarian organisation, and the knowledge that you are making a positive difference to people's lives.
- Due to Covid-9 restrictions, this role, unfortunately, is not available to those who are clinically extremely vulnerable at this time, as the volunteering opportunity is not located at home.
- Able to commit a few hours a week on any weekday(daytime) on a regular basis.
- This role involves lone working. Deployment into role will be subject to government guidelines and individual and building risk assessments.
- All training and induction provided remotely, using zoom.
- Masks are to be worn at all times during the session.
- Able to get to the office location, situated at St Joseph's Business Park, Hove.
- Reasonable pre-agreed travel expenses for the role.
- Some lifting in this role.
- This role is not exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974. All successful applicants are asked to sign a criminal record declaration.
When do I need to be available?
|Details||Volunteers needed on any weekday, Monday - Friday. Daytime hours. Ideally volunteer will do 2-3 hour session.|
Where does this role take place?
St Josephs Business Park
- Civic Responsibility and Communities
- Computers, IT and Websites
- Health and Social Care
- Administration and Office
- Advice and Information
- Computers, IT and Websites
- General Helping
- Disabled Access
- Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
Reasonable pre-agreed travel expenses
- Health and Safety
Currently by zoom
- Insurance Cover for Volunteers
- Suitable for 13 - 16 years
Suitable for 16 - 18 years
Due to Covid-19 restrictions we regret we are currently unable to provide the required level of supervision.
- Support on Offer