Delivery drivers - Sunday afternoons
Adur Community Cafe
Do you have a car? Want to make a difference to your local community? Able to volunteer alternate Sunday afternoons? If so, we'd love to hear from you.
Adur Community Cafe is a 'pay what you can afford' cafe - providing a delicious hot meal every Sunday afternoon to vulnerable people across Lancing, Shoreham, Southwick and Portslade. The meals are cooked at the Church of the Good Shepherd, West Beach, and, while COVID restrictions apply, delivered to people's homes. Longer term we are aiming to get a permanent venue for the cafe.
All sorts of people benefit from our 'pay what you can afford' meals - isolated older people, families struggling to afford decent food, people living in temporary, insecure accommodation who don't have facilities to cook decent meals.
The cafe is run entirely by volunteers. Sadly for us, some of our amazing volunteers are now going back to work after furlough. So we are looking for a few more volunteer drivers to join our happy team to help spread the load.
As a Delivery Driver, your role will be to:
- Come to the hall at the Church of the Good Shepherd at 4.15pm on alternate Sundays.
- Pick up a float (in case anyone needs change), the address list and 5-6 packages for delivery.
- Deliver the packages to people's homes, using your own car. This takes about 30-40 minutes. We divide up the area into four - you will be allocated to one of these: Lancing, Central Shoreham, East Shoreham or Mile Oak/Portslade.
- Drop off the float and money you've collected to St Julien's Hall in Shoreham .
One of our established volunteers can accompany you on your first Sunday if you feel that would be helpful.
You don't need to have done anything like this before or have any particular skills (apart from driving!).
All we ask is that you are sensitive and sympathetic towards the people you are delivering food to; and don't judge people who find themselves in this situation.
And of course reliability is essential. Ideally if you are already DBS checked that would be brilliant (although we can do a check if you've not had one).
- This is a lovely opportunity to make a huge difference to vulnerable, local people who are struggling to eat well. The Sunday meal from the Adur Community Cafe is life saver for many of our customers.
- You will also get the chance to meet new people and make new friends. We are a jolly bunch!
- If you're fed up stuck indoors, this role will give you a reason to get out and about!
We can reimburse your fuel expenses.
When do I need to be available?
|Details||We ask you to volunteer every other Sunday - arriving to collect the food at 4.15. Deliveries should take you 30-40 minutes.|
Where does this role take place?
Church of the Good Shepherd
- Disabled Access
- Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
- Health and Safety
- Insurance Cover for Volunteers
- Suitable for 13 - 16 years
- Suitable for 16 - 18 years
- Suitable for a group of volunteers
- Support on Offer
- This role is adaptable for different abilities