Digital Champion Volunteer
Volunteers will be offering informal advice, information and support to adults in their local community who either want to get online and learn how to use a computer for the first time, or improve their confidence with the basics.
The majority of our digital champions work with learners on a one-to-one basis.
Main duties, tasks and responsibilities of volunteer:
1. Help adults learn the basics of computers, e.g. switching on, using the mouse and keyboard, searching the internet, sending and receiving email
2. Introduce adults to a range of social media to help them keep in touch with friends and family, e.g. Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, LinkedIn
3. Offer informal advice on the basics of e-safety, e.g. guarding against identity theft, phishing and scamming
4. Offer support in the basics of key software, e.g. Microsoft Word , Excel etc.
5. Offer a warm, friendly and reliable service to all learners, regardless of age, background or ability
6. Communicate regularly with volunteer coordinator as appropriate
7. Attend training provided by IT Junction as and when required
8. Set session equipment and maintain a safe environment within the digital centre
9. Signposting Support - help local people to find information and advice on local services and the choices open to them
10. Act as an advocate of the benefits of being online.
- Computer literate, but no need to be a technical expert - your listening and 'people' skills are just as important!
- Able to travel independently to your nearest IT Junction venue (these are across the Adur & Worthing area - see https://itjunction.org.uk/sessions/)
- Gain experience in supporting people to get online
- Gain an employment reference
- Satisfaction in helping people learn and reach their goals
We're looking for people who have a good practical experience of using computers, a friendly, welcoming approach and are comfortable with helping others.
Able to travel independently to your nearest IT Junction venue (these are across the Adur & Worthing area - see https://itjunction.org.uk/sessions/)
More info: https://itjunction.org.uk/become-a-volunteer/
When do I need to be available?
|Details||Sessions are for two hours (times vary - see https://itjunction.org.uk/sessions/)|
Where does this role take place?
c/o Communities Team, Adur & Worthing Councils
Portland House, Richmond Road
- Civic Responsibility and Communities
- Employment, Education and Training
- No specific interest
- Disabled Access
- Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
- Health and Safety
- Insurance Cover for Volunteers
- Suitable only for (e.g. 18+, LGBT, BAME, Women only)
- Suitable for a group of volunteers
- Support on Offer