Digital Inclusion - IT Support Volunteer
Brighton Unemployed Centre (Families Project)
We are looking for volunteers to get involved in our digital and financial involvement work. This is a new project that aims to bridge the ever widening digital gap that prevents some members of our community from reaping the full potential of the internet. This is a flexible project and we want our volunteers to feel free to contribute their own ideas and approaches. The main role for our volunteers is to support others in basic IT skills right through to more challenging aspects such as email and navigating government websites for job searches.
We need people with the following skills:
- How to use a keyboard and mouse
- How to search and explore the internet
- How to keep in touch with email
- How to stay safe online
- The basics of using online public services.
Volunteers would ideally have knowledge of the following:
- How to find and to apply for jobs online
- Shopping online
- Using Facebook and other social platforms online
- Understanding public services online
- Making the most of your money, and budgeting
- Online banking.
- Friendly approachable manner and must be able to communicate with people of all ages, needs and backgrounds.
- Experience in using a computer/familiar to the training environment.
- A calm and patient approach is required, as the service users may have no previous experience of computing.
- To be impartial and act according to the equal opportunities policy.
- Can work with others as part of a team.
- Are reliable and flexible.
- Dependable, honest, mature and discreet.
Volunteers get their travel expenses reimbursed (up to £5), are provided with training while performing the role and additional training opportunities as they progress if needed and available.
Volunteers are also entitled to have a free meal when the kitchen is open and a reference after 3 months of volunteering with BUCFP.
Limited parking around the centre and unfortunately no access for wheel chair users (centre accessible only through 2 flights of stairs)
When do I need to be available?
|Details||Please contact the centre for actual availability during the week.|
Where does this role take place?
6 Tilbury Place
Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
Health and Safety
Insurance Cover for Volunteers
Suitable for 13 - 16 years
Suitable for 16 - 18 years
Suitable for a group of volunteers
Suitable only for (e.g. 18+, LGBT, BAME, Women only)
Support on Offer
This role is adaptable for different abilities