Buddies are a group of volunteers with a range of different experience. They are the link between Hospice and home. They often have to liaise with nurses and pharmacists, and sometimes GPs, who are involved in the care of the patient. Sometimes a Buddy’s support can be as simple as making sure that the patient has basic supplies in the house when they return home. They may accompany patients on short trips to the local shop or café in order to boost their confidence in settling back in their homes. They may alert Martlets to changes in the patient’s circumstances. Buddies are encouraged to be sensitive to the needs of the patients and their families and to develop their support to best meet those
- Good Inter personal skills – empathetic, good communicator, strong listener
- Particularly suits people who are familiar with clinical or health care situations
- Organised and practical
- Good at managing expectations
- Task focused
- Ability to communicate with people at all levels including patients, family members, GP, District Nurses etc.
- Specialised training for the role
- Participating in a very worthwhile volunteering role
- Opportunity for ongoing development through regular supervision and regular training relevant to the role.
Due to the nature of this role, current driving license would be an advantage – Martlets can sometimes provide a car for this role
When do I need to be available?
|Details||Home visits are arranged to suit the needs of the patient and the availability of the volunteer. Visits are usually arranged between 9am - 5pm, Monday to Friday and comply with our Lone Working Policy. However, you will be given a personal alarm and dedicated mobile phone, so you may choose to visit at weekends or evenings Due to the nature of this role, current driving licence is essential – Martlets can provide a car for this role.|
- Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
- Health and Safety
- Insurance Cover for Volunteers
- Suitable for 13 - 16 years
- Suitable for 16 - 18 years
- Suitable for a group of volunteers
- Support on Offer