Doorstep Support and Delivery Volunteer
Age UK West Sussex and Brighton & Hove
Are you concerned about the welfare of older people in these difficult times? Are able to offer 2-3 hours a week to offer a friendly face and practical help with delivering food? Do you have access to a car? Do you live in West Sussex? If so, we'd love to hear from you.
Age UK West Sussex, Brighton and Hove aims are to promote the wellbeing of all older people; to make later life a fulfilling and enjoyable experience and to enable people to flourish. We deliver a range of services and activities to meet older people’s needs.
COVID-19 restrictions are making life tough for many older people in our community. We are looking for volunteers who can offer a friendly face and practical help with delivering food and other essential supplies in Adur and Worthing, (and also other areas of West Sussex).
Your role as an Age UK Doorstep Support and Delivery Volunteer will be to:
- Collect food and other items from local pick-up points including Age UK activity centres.
- Deliver items to the older person's door.
- Spend 5-10 minutes having a chat with the person at their door to check they are ok.
- Raise any concerns you have about the person's well being with Age UK.
You will not be asked to enter the person's home at this time due to COVID restrictions. If the person needs help with anything else, you will have details of someone at Age UK who can organise any additional support safely.
You don't need to have done this kind of role before and you don't need any special qualifications. We provide an initial induction and on-going support.
We are looking for people who have:
- A genuine interest in, and empathy with, older people.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to relate to people from a variety of different backgrounds.
- The ability to carry shopping and food parcels safely.
- Flexibility with a team approach.
- A basic understanding of, and a willingness to learn about, keeping yourself and others safe while performing the role.
Ideally, you should live in West Sussex, have access to a car or motorbike to do the deliveries and your insurance should cover you for volunteering. (There may be some opportunities for people able to do pick ups and deliveries by bicycle or on foot but these are limited).
For the safety of the older people we support, we will need to carry out a DBS check on you before you start. (This is a check of your criminal record carried out by the Disclosure and Barring Service).
This is a lovely opportunity to support an isolated older person in your community.
You will also get the chance to meet new people and make new friends.
And you will gain experience of supporting older people which may help you find a job in this field if that's important to you.
We will reimburse your travel expenses so you won't be out of pocket.
When do I need to be available?
|Details||This is a flexible role. It will involve you for about 2-3hrs a week between 10-4pm|
Where does this role take place?
Adur and Worthing
- Civic Responsibility and Communities
- Emergency Response
- Health and Social Care
- No specific interest
- Older People
- General Helping
- Disabled Access
- Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
- Health and Safety
- Insurance Cover for Volunteers
- Suitable for 13 - 16 years
- Suitable for 16 - 18 years
- Suitable for a group of volunteers
- Support on Offer
- This role is adaptable for different abilities