Finance Trustee (Assistant Treasurer)
Safe in Sussex
Do you have some accountancy experience? Perhaps you're working towards your qualifications and are looking for more experience? Are you interested in trusteeship? Would you like to contribute to a charity supporting women who experience domestic abuse? Then this role could be for you.
We are looking for a Trustee with an accountancy background to join our Board as an Assistant to our Treasurer as part of our succession planning. We would be happy to hear from younger candidates who may not yet be fully qualified and also those with accounting skills who may not be qualified accountants. This role will be to provide assistance and back up to our existing Treasurer and to complement the skills and expertise of our existing Board.
The Assistant Treasurer will work alongside the existing Treasurer to lead the management of the Finance of the charity. In addition, as a trustee you will be part of the board whose role is to:
- agree and monitor Safe in Sussex’s strategic direction and ensure it pursues its objectives in keeping with these strategic directions;
- ensure the organisation functions within the legal, charitable and financial requirements of a charitable organisation;
- ensure the financial stability of the organisation and the proper investment of funds in accordance with Safe in Sussex's stated aims and objectives and relevant legislation.
Safe in Sussex (affiliated to Women's Aid) provides refuge to women and their children who are fleeing domestic violence and abuse (DVA) and we currently have 4 refuges. The women receive one to one support and the children are supported through play-led sessions. We also provide Group Support to women in the local community via a number of support groups. In addition we deliver healthy relationship education programmes to children and young people to help them form healthy relationships. Our specialist staff work with women and children in a number of ways to help them recover from violence and trauma and to move forward with their lives. We also provide drop in facilities for all members of the community with any DVA related issues.
As a Trustee of Safe in Sussex, candidates should have the following experience/skills/abilities:
- A willingness to commit to the Mission Statement of Safe in Sussex
- The ability to devote the necessary time and effort to the Board of Trustees
- Good, independent judgement
- A willingness to speak their mind
- An ability to think creatively
- An understanding and acceptance of the duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship to ensure Safe in Sussex complies with its governing document, charity law, company law and any other relevant legislation or regulations
- An ability to work effectively as a member of a team
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- The commitment to be able to attend Board meetings which are held approximately every six weeks
Previous experience of participation on a voluntary basis on a Committees would be useful but is not a pre-requisite
Trustees play a very important role in any charity and are integral to the management of the charity's affairs. You may have not thought about a Trustee position before and we recognise that new talent and expertise is now needed. You don’t have to be an expert in domestic violence and abuse or have Trustee experience to be part of our valued team.
The Board is particularly seeking candidates with experience in accounting.
1. The opportunity to contribute to a charity making a difference to the lives of women and children affected by domestic abuse.
2. The chance to meet new people and be part of a positive team.
3. Personal and career development.
When do I need to be available?
|Details||You should be able to commit to preparing for, and attending board meetings which are about every 6 weeks and there will be some work between board meetings. There is flexibility to fit this around your other commitments.|
Where does this role take place?
- Disabled Access
- Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
- Health and Safety
- Insurance Cover for Volunteers
- Suitable for 13 - 16 years
- Suitable for 16 - 18 years
- Suitable for a group of volunteers
Suitable only for (e.g. 18+, LGBT, BAME, Women only)
As Safe in Sussex is affiliated to Women's Aid we are currently only able to recruit female Board members, due to their current stipulations on affiliated Board composition.
- Support on Offer
- This role is adaptable for different abilities