Food collection volunteer
Worthing Homes Community Trust
At Worthing Homes Community House, surplus food is available for local residents to collect on a daily basis. The role of the collection volunteer would be to:
- Collecting food from local suppliers (involves lifting and carrying) and checking that it is good and safe to eat for at least 24 hours
- Transporting the food safely to Community House
- Logging food donations for evaluation purposes
- Placing all food in the fridge or larder appropriately.
For this role you need the following skills:
- A standard driving licence and access to a vehicle is required for this role
- Good at map reading and able to use a Sat Nav system
- Positive, friendly and personable, interacting well with different partners and people
- Able to perform physical tasks including lifting and loading
- Able to use your initiative and work independently
- Adaptable – managing surplus can be unpredictable so day to day routes and drop off points can vary.
- This practical role has a huge impact in our local community- You will directly ensure that good quality food is not wasted and gets into the hands of the people who need it
- Active and sociable role, building relationships with fellow volunteers, local residents and our partners
- Gain a variety of skills such as route planning, organising and communication skills
- Have access to a wide variety of useful training, including training and experience in food handling, storage and hygiene protocols
- Be part of a team of like-minded people and attend monthly volunteer events to socialise with fellow volunteers
- Reasonable travel expenses are available
- Working reference available after 3 months in the role.
Collection will be from supermarket and organisational partners across Adur & Worthing to be dropped off at Worthing Homes Community House (25 Dominion road, 0-Worthing, BN14 8J2)
Food collections can take place between Monday-Friday. No collections take place around bank holiday weekends.
This is a flexible opportunity which can fit alongside your other commitments. You are welcome to volunteer regularly, every now and again or on an ad hoc basis as you prefer.
When do I need to be available?
- Community Food
- Disabled Access
- Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
- Health and Safety
- Insurance Cover for Volunteers
- Suitable for 13 - 16 years
- Suitable for 16 - 18 years
- Support on Offer
- This role is adaptable for different abilities