Voices in Exile
Our foodbank is our most long-established service. We delivers to our clients weekly once a week. Foodbank client’s come from a range of different backgrounds, including asylum seekers, refugees, those without recourse to public funds and persons who have no immigration status. All those who get assistance from the foodbank are destitute. We provide access to subsistence food and other essential products.
We need a reliable volunteer team to help us make this happen. Each week we receive donations which needs sorting and packing into food parcels ready for our team of volunteer delivery drivers to take out on Wednesday mornings.
You do not need any particular experience, but you will need a 'get involved' attitude.
What you do may vary on the day of the week you come in. You will get all the necessary training and support you need to help you do your role.
Some of the things you may be doing are:
- Accepting deliveries of food for the food-bank
- Carrying the food into the building
- Helping sort the food for storage
- Packing food into parcels ready for delivery
- Making sure the food-bank is left clean and tidy and is Covid safe.
- The opportunity to give much needed support to people in need
- Be part of a friendly team
- Full induction, training and support for the role.
You can offer to do this weekly, but also to be part of our bank team, stepping in when needed.
You will need to have:
- A reasonable level of fitness
- Be able to lift or help lift up to 20kg
- Sort and store food
- Understand food dates so that food can be sorted by date order and used within time
- Be able to follow instructions to help make up the food parcels
- Work as part of a team
- Need to follow our Covid-safe practices.
The food-bank is currently in Hove, but will soon be in Kemp Town.
Parking - Street parking, pay and display only.
On local bus routes.
When do I need to be available?
|Details||Monday 9.30-12.30 or Tuesday 9.30-1.00pm|
Where does this role take place?
Hove and Kemptown
- Refugees, Asylum Seekers, Migrants
- General Helping
Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
Health and Safety
Insurance Cover for Volunteers
Suitable for 13 - 16 years
Suitable for 16 - 18 years
Suitable for a group of volunteers
Suitable only for (e.g. 18+, LGBT, BAME, Women only)
Support on Offer
This role is adaptable for different abilities