We need volunteers who are happy to support us during our therapeutic gardening clubs for people with support needs. These gardeners may include people with dementia, physical and mental health challenges, recovering from trauma, with learning difficulties or autism and vary widely in age and ability at any one time. For many the social part of gardening in a small group is as important as the actual gardening. We are looking for people who are happy to work alongside a client on an activity in the garden that we give you, in a relaxed and empowering way, offering low-key assistance if needed, and generally being a friendly fellow gardener ready to have a sociable chat.
- A little gardening experience and happy to be outdoors
- Interested in nature and in people
- Comfortable talking to anyone
- Calm, positive, friendly, cheerful, sensitive
- Willing to attend fairly regularly for a period of time for continuity
- Therapeutic effects of gardening and being in nature
- Companionship and being a valued part of our group
- Experience in social and therapeutic gardening
Buses to the Strand are near to the garden, Durrington-on-Sea is the nearest train station, it's about a 10-15 minute walk from there to the Maybridge Keystone Centre, there is parking on site or nearby. You will need to dress for the weather and for gardening.
When do I need to be available?
Where does this role take place?
Maybridge Keystone Cente
- Disabled Access
- Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
- Health and Safety
- Insurance Cover for Volunteers
- Suitable for 13 - 16 years
Suitable for 16 - 18 years
- Suitable for a group of volunteers
- This role is adaptable for different abilities