Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust
Meadowfield Hospital has three acute mental health wards; two for patients under 65 and one for patients over 65. Patients generally suffer functional mental health problems such as depression, elation and psychosis and would usually be considered too unwell and/or at risk to be cared for in the community.
The Trust has a contract for lawn cutting and hedge trimming however the unit would like additional support with the gardens to bring them to their full glory. The voluntary role would involve tasks such as potting, growing veg and supporting patients in taking pride in the gardens.
- Able to commit reliably to at least 2 hours a week for a minimum of six months
- A commitment to improve the patient’s experience of their time in hospital
- Well presented, with a friendly and approachable manner and good verbal communication skills
- An ability to relate well to people on a one to one basis and be sympathetic to others’ situations
- An ability to be patient and calm even in the face of difficult situations
- An ability to act on own initiative within the role description
- A willingness to be flexible and to follow the guidance of a placement supervisor
- A commitment to the trust’s equal opportunities and diversity policies
- A willingness to abide by the Sussex Partnership volunteer guidelines, including rules on confidentiality, health and safety, safeguarding adults and children and manual handling
- To be willing to receive training any areas as appropriate to the volunteer role
- Use and improve your existing people skills
- Gain valuable experience to strengthen future applications
- Meet new people from different backgrounds
When do I need to be available?
Where does this role take place?
Appropriate for (e.g. 18+, LGBT, BME, Women only)
- Disabled Access
- Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
- Health and Safety
- Insurance Cover for Volunteers
- Suitable for 13 - 16 years
- Suitable for 16 - 18 years
- Suitable for a group of volunteers
- Support on Offer
• Equality, Diversity and Human rights • Information Governance • Safeguarding Adults L1 • Safeguarding Children L1 • Suicide Prevention course • Prevent