Do you enjoy meeting people and discussing their needs? Are you able to deal sensitively with personal information? Are you able to fill in application forms? Would you like to help improve the quality of life of a disabled person? If so, then this role could be for you?
Freedom Powerchairs designs, maintains, repairs, services and hires out mobility aids for people with mobility problems. The service is provided entirely by volunteers.
We have just moved to a new workshop on the Dominion Way and this is enabling us to expand our services.
We are looking for a volunteer to help our clients apply for a grant to fund the purchase or repair of mobility equipment (such as wheelchairs and powerchairs) which can transform their quality of life.
- Visit clients in their homes (subject to COVID-19 restrictions).
- Talk to them about their situation and make notes.
- Assess their suitability for a grant.
- Make the grant application.
- Follow up the application.
You will be asked to complete a 2 day training course to prepare you for this role.
You don't need to have done this kind of role before (although it would be wonderful if you have!). Full training and support is offered.
We are looking for people who are:
- Good at talking with people about their situation and needs; and listening carefully.
- Able to respect confidential information.
- Able to read and understand grant guidelines.
- Able to write clearly and succinctly.
- A chance to make a positive difference to the lives of local people living with a disability.
- The opportunity to get out and about and meet people.
- Excellent experience to boost your CV if that is relevant to you.
You will need to be able to travel around the Worthing and Adur area - on foot, by bike , public transport or car. We will reimburse reasonable travel expenses.
When do I need to be available?
|Details||This role can be arranged to fit around your other commitments.|
Where does this role take place?
- Disabled Access
- Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
- Health and Safety
- Insurance Cover for Volunteers
- Suitable for 13 - 16 years
- Suitable for 16 - 18 years
- Suitable for a group of volunteers
- Support on Offer
- This role is adaptable for different abilities