The Adur Gateway Hub
Can you spare 4 hours a week to help us support vulnerable families in Adur?
The Adur Gateway Hub is a group of local people who initially came together to provide mutual aid to support the Shoreham, Southwick and Fishersgate community during the first Covid-19 lockdown. But with so many families still struggling, the Hub is continuing to provide community aid support to over 90 vulnerable families and is aiming to become a registered charity.
We provide a person-centred, family-centred and caring service from our premises in West Road, Fishersgate. When people ask us for help we make sure that there are no barriers, no criteria, no hoops to jump through.
Our Community Aid work includes:
- Food support - a holistic response which recognises people need different types of food support at different times. This includes weekly grocery bags, packed up by us and delivered to families in need.
- 100 Street Level Volunteers - neighbours helping vulnerable people in their street with shopping, prescriptions and reducing isolation with befriending.
- School uniform supplies.
- Bouncing Baby support for new Mums.
- Community Support - a group of volunteers who take referrals and shop for people in need.
- Two Facebook groups - which create vital hubs for those wanting to share and access updates relating to local help and support.
We have an amazing group of volunteers but sadly for us, many are going back to work. So we are now looking for more volunteer Grocery Packers to help out on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays or Thursdays for about 4 hours on each day. Times are flexible - so let us know which days and times work for you.
Your role will be to:
- Prepare food bags with address labels, in readiness for packing.
- Liaise with Head of Food/Volunteer Coordinator as to what the requirements are for daily/weekly contents of food to be packed into the bags and the number of bags required.
- Ensure food bags are packed with the relevant food for the number of children in the family e.g. crisps, chocolate bars.
- Ensure that items packed are undamaged.
- Support with special projects (summer lunch club, easter, half terms and Christmas).
- Work with Front of House Volunteer ensure that the food bags are grouped into batches with the appropriate list, contact number and address and ready for collection by the drivers at required times.
- When required, support with food deliveries which arrive at the Hub for sorting.
- And of course comply with all COVID-19 guidelines while volunteering with us.
We are looking for volunteers who are patient, non-judgemental and genuinely keen to help people who might be struggling financially.
There are no set skills required to volunteer, but we do ask that as a volunteer for this role you:
• Have an open and keen attitude with a willingness to learn.
• Are able to deal with people politely and professionally.
• Like working as part of a team.
• Have a reasonable level of physical dexterity.
• Have high levels of enthusiasm and commitment.
• Have good Attention to detail.
• Have good Customer service.
• Enjoy being with people
- Be part of something worthwhile that benefits families in the community.
- Meet lots of different people.
- Increase your self-confidence and improve self-esteem.
- Enhance your communication and personal skills.
- Hopefully have fun!
When do I need to be available?
|Details||We need people on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays for about 4 hours each day. So let us know what days and times suit you.|
Where does this role take place?
- Disabled Access
- Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
- Health and Safety
- Insurance Cover for Volunteers
- Suitable for 13 - 16 years
- Suitable for 16 - 18 years
- Suitable for a group of volunteers
- Suitable only for (e.g. 18+, LGBT, BAME, Women only)
- Support on Offer
- This role is adaptable for different abilities