Grocery delivery drivers
The Adur Gateway Hub
Do you drive a car? Can you spare 1 hour a week to help us support vulnerable families in Adur?
The Adur Gateway Hub is a group of local people who initially came together to provide mutual aid to support the Shoreham, Southwick and Fishersgate community during the first Covid-19 lockdown. But with so many families still struggling, the Hub is continuing to provide community aid support to over 90 vulnerable families and is aiming to become a registered charity.
We provide a person-centred, family-centred and caring service from our premises in West Road, Fishersgate. When people ask us for help we make sure that there are no barriers, no criteria, no hoops to jump through.
Our Community Aid work includes:
- Food support - a holistic response which recognises people need different types of food support at different times. This includes weekly grocery bags, packed up by us and delivered to families in need.
- 100 Street Level Volunteers - neighbours helping vulnerable people in their street with shopping, prescriptions and reducing isolation with befriending.
- School uniform supplies.
- Bouncing Baby support for new Mums.
- Community Support - a group of volunteers who take referrals and shop for people in need.
- Two Facebook groups - which create vital hubs for those wanting to share and access updates relating to local help and support.
We have an amazing group of volunteers but sadly for us, many are going back to work as furlough ends. So we are now looking for more volunteer drivers to help out on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays or Thursdays for about 1 hour on each day from mid-morning onwards. Times are flexible - so let us know what days and times work for you.
Your role will be to:
- On arrival at the Hub, liaise with the Front of House Volunteer to collect your food bags for your designated patch. We usually give you a maximum of 6 deliveries - it takes about an hour to drop them all off.
- Ensure that you have the appropriate food bags, list of addresses and contact numbers for your patch.
- Liaise with Front of House Volunteer if you have questions.
- If the neighbour you are delivering to is out, either leave the bags in a safe place or message the Gateway Deliveries WhatsApp group for help.
- When all deliveries have been completed, shred the list of addresses and contact numbers in line with Data Protection guidelines or return this to the Hub.
- If you enter the Hub for any reason you are required to follow our COVID 19 guidelines.
We are looking for volunteers who are patient, non-judgemental and genuinely keen to help people who might be struggling financially.
There are no set skills required to volunteer (apart from driving!), but we do ask that as a volunteer for this role you:
• Have an open and keen attitude with a willingness to learn.
• Are able to deal with people politely and professionally.
• Like working as part of a team.
• Have a reasonable level of physical dexterity.
• Have high levels of enthusiasm and commitment.
• Have good attention to detail.
• Have good customer service.
• Deliver goods safely to the designated location.
• Enjoy being with people.
- Be part of something worthwhile that benefits families in the community.
- Meet lots of different people.
- Increase your self-confidence and improve self-esteem.
- Enhance your communication and personal skills.
- Hopefully have fun!
You will need to use your own car. We can reimburse your fuel costs.
You must also be able to carry heavy shopping bags to and from your car.
When do I need to be available?
|Details||We need people on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. It takes about an hour to drop off the deliveries. So let us know what days and times suit you.|
Where does this role take place?
Shoreham, Southwick, Fishersgate
- Disabled Access
- Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
- Health and Safety
- Insurance Cover for Volunteers
- Suitable for 13 - 16 years
- Suitable for 16 - 18 years
- Suitable for a group of volunteers
- Suitable only for (e.g. 18+, LGBT, BAME, Women only)
- Support on Offer
- This role is adaptable for different abilities