Malthouse Meadow Forest Garden Group
Do you enjoy spending time in nature? Do you live in or around Sompting? Are you well organised and good at coordinating other people? Do you have 4-5 hours a month to offer? If so, then this role could be for you.
Malthouse Meadow is a beautiful green space in Sompting designated for development as a forest garden – a form of conservation based on woodland ecosystems. It involves developing a variety of features, including fruit trees and grazing sheep, to provide a habitat for wildlife, flora and fauna and a beautiful place for local people to enjoy and learn more about biodiversity. Our aim is to create a place we are proud to leave for the next generation.
The Malthouse Meadow Forest Garden Group is a group of fantastic local volunteers, supported by the councils and other partners, who meet about once a month on the site to implement the action plan for the forest garden. So far, we’ve coppiced Hazel Grove; constructed a ‘dead hedge’ to support natural fauna; planted English primroses and cowslips, a fig tree and five elm trees to support the recovery of an endangered species of butterfly. And there are now three sheep grazing on the site. We also have lots of exciting plans for the future including a wet area, more fruit and nut trees and shrubs, more habitat for wildlife and an educational area for visiting school children.
A local councillor helped get the group off the ground and is still coordinating our efforts. However, she has limited time to offer, so we are looking for someone who can dedicate 4-5 hours a month to coordinating the group. The councillor will remain involved and can support the Group Coordinator if needed.
Your role will be to:
- Chair a meeting of the small committee once every two months (involving volunteers and other partners) to review the scheme of work and plan the next activity.
- Liaise with the Council Rangers to arrange the volunteering events.
- Liaise with other volunteers, allocate tasks and support them if needed.
- Attend as many of the weekend volunteering events as you can – although we appreciate you may not be able to make them all.
- Represent the Group at occasional meetings with other organisations e.g. Green Tides.
If you’re excited by the opportunity to do something positive for biodiversity on your doorstep, then please register your interest and we can have an informal chat.
If you’d like to visit Malthouse Meadow, the entrance is in West Street, Sompting – near St Mary’s Close.
You don’t need any special qualifications or experience to do this role. We are looking for someone who:
- Is interested in nature (but you don’t have to be an expert).
- Is well organised and good at organising other people.
- Enjoys meeting people and is comfortable dealing with a wide range of people – including council staff, councillors, local residents, rangers, children.
- Lives locally – in or near to Sompting.
- Can volunteer in this role for about 4-5 hours a month.
- Make a difference to your local community.
- Meet new people and make new friends.
- Spend time outdoors in nature.
When do I need to be available?
|Details||This is a very flexible role which you can fit around your other commitments. It will take about 4-5 hours a month. You may also want to join in the monthly events at Malthouse Meadow with other volunteers. These happen at weekends. But you're not expected to attend them all if that is difficult for you.|
Where does this role take place?
Malthouse Mead Forest Garden Group
Harriet Johnson Centre Old School House
Loose Lane Sompting BN15 0BG
Sompting BN15 0BG
- Civic Responsibility and Communities
- No specific interest
- Parks and Open Spaces
- Disabled Access
- Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
- Health and Safety
- Insurance Cover for Volunteers
- Suitable for 13 - 16 years
- Suitable for 16 - 18 years
- Suitable for a group of volunteers
- Support on Offer
- This role is adaptable for different abilities