Head of Supervisory Committee
East Sussex Credit Union
We are a well-established Credit Union that is forward looking and puts the members at the heart of everything we do. We promote financial well-being with our ethical savings, affordable loans & banking solutions; all delivered by people who care about the members we serve.
The Head of Supervisory will join us at an exciting
time as we develop our systems to better serve the community and expand our
reach. With this in mind the Head of Supervisory will shape the internal audit
plan and the Supervisory Team to ensure that we remain compliant in law and
regulations and deliver a valued input into continuous improvements that will
mitigate any risks. This is a vacant role that you can make your own!
The Supervisory Committee act as the "watchdog" of the credit union to protect and safeguard member assets and must be totally independent of any of the functions it is inspecting.
As Head of Supervisory you will:
• Be responsible for overseeing the internal audit function of and making sure that ESCU operates within the law, regulations, rules and policies of the credit union.
• Be responsible for ensuring that ESCU is being run in the interests of its members, and that its financial procedures and management practices serve the best interest of its members.
• Take a pro-active view of improvement, enhancement and achievement of the business of ESCU at all times.
What will you be doing?
Comply with the rules and policies and procedures of ESCU and actively ensure that fellow members of the Supervisory Committee also comply.
Ensure effective monitoring is implemented for all activities of ESCU to ensure that it is being managed effectively and efficiently, that financial records are accurate and up to date, and that the possibilities for fraud and theft are reduced.
Implement an internal audit plan for each year & delegate tasks to ensure that all of the activities in the Supervisory Committee are carried out efficiently, avoiding obvious patterns of checking & having specific focal points for each quarter.
Produce a written report to the Board of Directors on a quarterly basis with a summary of work undertaken, conclusions reached and recommendations for improvements as necessary.
Deliver a verbal report at the Annual General Meeting or to a Special General Meeting if appropriate summarising the enquiries carried out since the last report and if any material issues have been raised to the board. Give a report on the attendance of Officers at ESCU Credit Union’s Board of Directors and Committee meetings to the Annual General Meeting, or to a Special General Meeting if appropriate.
Ensure that the accounts are audited on an annual basis by an independent qualified auditor in a timely manner.
On the declaration of the poll following an election, immediately destroy all ballot papers.
- Internal Audit Functions/ Quality Control
- A working knowledge of accounting procedures
- Team Leadership
- Report writing, presentation skills, planning
- A good understanding of the running of small business, awareness of the wider credit union movement and financial services in general.
- Willingness to familiarise yourself with Credit Union rules as per the FCA Handbook called CREDS https://www.handbook.fca.org.uk/handbook/CREDS/
What are we looking for?
- Communication: strong verbal and written skills.
- Attention to detail
- Financial Services background
- Commitment to improving the controls that safeguard our members funds and ensure that the ESCU is run in the best interests of its members at all times.
An opportunity to work with a small dedicated team and utilise/grow your experience and skills to make a difference. In addition, we are committed to involving and supporting all volunteers, along with shaping opportunities for them to contribute in a way which suits them and allows for optimising the satisfaction that can be gained from volunteering.
Hove Town Hall
Meeting monthly with other committee members as required to oversee the planning of the internal audit plan, ensure that it is implemented effectively and that results are documented effectively to form an overall quarterly report to the board. Once the audit plan is in place, approx. 5 hours per month should be sufficient.
Meeting quarterly other committee members to collate results of internal audit checks, make recommendations for improvements and draft the report that will be presented to the board.
Attending Annual General Meetings to deliver the overall annual report to the members and where required attend Special General Meetings.
When do I need to be available?
Where does this role take place?
Hove Town Hall, Tisbury Road Offices
Tisbury Road, Hove
- Trusteeship and Committee Work
- Disabled Access
- Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
- Health and Safety
- Insurance Cover for Volunteers
- Appropriate for (e.g. 18+, LGBT, BME, Women only)
- Suitable for a group of volunteers
- Support on Offer