Highdown Gardens Tour Guide
Are you a people-person, with a passion for sharing knowledge? We are looking for volunteers to deliver guided tours of Highdown Gardens upon reopening from June 2021.
Highdown Gardens is famous for its rare exotic plants, collected by Plant Hunters in the early 1900’s. The plants hold high scientific value due to their success in adapting to Downland chalk soil, and in 1989 were recognised by Plant Heritage as a National Plant Collection.
Highdown recently gained funding from the National Lottery to conserve these unique plants and improve visitor experience, so that the garden's rich heritage could be passed on and enjoyed by future generations.
To achieve this aim we need your help to lead tours and share stories about the garden's amazing history and unique plant collection with our visitors including families, local people, and horticultural enthusiasts.
- Ability to learn a script and improvise
- Experience leading groups of up to 15 people
- Good verbal communication
- Ability to engage with a wide range of people
- Ability to work independently
- Good level of fitness (able to walk around the gardens on uneven terrain).
- Knowledge of horticulture.
- This role would suit someone seeking a career in customer service or engagement within the environmental sector
- You’ll get exclusive training on Highdown’s incredible history.
- You’ll get to volunteer in a beautiful location, with one of the best views in Worthing!
Highdown Gardens is anticipating high demand for tours between June - August 2021. You will need to attend two training days in May and ideally be able to commit to one day volunteering per fortnight.
Highdown Gardens is located just off of the A259 (Littlehampton Road), which is a dual carriageway. There is a car park on site, bus stops approximately a 15 minute walk away, and Goring-by-sea train station an 18 minute walk away.
Please go to the Highdown Garden's 'How to Find Us' web page for further travel details. https://www.highdowngardens.co.uk/contact/how-to-find-us/
When do I need to be available?
|Details||You would need to be able to volunteer at least one day every fortnight.|
Where does this role take place?
33 Highdown Rise (off Littlehampton Road)
We have just had new paths put in throughout the gardens for wheelchair access.
- Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
- Health and Safety
- Insurance Cover for Volunteers
- Suitable for 13 - 16 years
- Suitable for 16 - 18 years
- Suitable for a group of volunteers
- Support on Offer
This role is adaptable for different abilities
Unfortunately the tour will be on uneven terrain in parts.
One days training will be given.