Hotel Assistant Volunteer - Brighton
During these difficult times we need the support of our staff and volunteers in fighting homelessness. For anyone facing homelessness, and particularly for people who are sleeping rough, our first priority is to make sure they have somewhere safe and secure to sleep - especially now.
St Mungo's will be operating 2 hotels in Brighton, to support our clients, and we are looking for volunteers to help in the operation of essential services to our clients in these hotels.
Volunteers will be helping clients who have been transferred from a variety of communal sleeping spaces, shelters, or come directly from the street for the specific reason of having somewhere safe and isolated to stay until the government determines the risk of the virus no longer exists.
Volunteer Role and Tasks:
The Hotel Assistant Volunteer role and responsibility has only necessary contact with the client. You will be supporting the operation of essential services designed to keep our clients both healthy and isolated, in line with the guidance set out by government.
Tasks will be undertaken in pairs and may include:
- Delivering food, drinks, and supplies to client rooms - for all self-isolating clients this will require leaving the items outside and making no contact.
- Supporting client welfare under the direction of experienced staff, which may include;
knocking on client's doors to check on well-being,
answering client phone calls to the hotel switchboard,
responding to face-to-face enquiries.
- Assisting with the clearing of rubbish from client rooms.
- Responding to any emergencies under the direction of experienced staff.
- Completing emergency errands for clients including, shopping, picking up prescriptions and any other vital supplies.
- Minimum of 1 shift a fortnight - maximum number of shifts a week is 3.
- All shifts in Brighton expected to be from 10.30 am - 4.30 pm.
You will receive support and guidance from the on-site team.
This opportunity is open to people with or without experience of a homelessness setting.
However, volunteers must meet the following criteria:
- Must be showing no symptoms of Covid-19 in line with government guidelines, or have been in contact with anyone displaying symptoms in the last 14 days.
- Must not be over 70, have any underlying health conditions, or are living with people, or already supporting those in the at - risk category.
- Must be able to safely travel to agreed location.
- Have a friendly personality.
- Ability to work within a team.
- Have good time management skills and reliable.
- Keen, enthusiastic and willing to learn.
- Understanding of the causes of homelessness and its impact.
- Ability to work with people who may have offending behaviour, substance use and/or mental health, with sensitivity and respect. We particularly welcome applicants with experience of using and moving on from support services.
- Make a huge difference to a range of services we can offer homeless people.
- Make a significant contribution to combating homelessness.
- Develop skills and experience of the homelessness sector.
- We ask all volunteers to consider the risks involved in helping out in our services in terms of increased risk of coming into contact with the virus outside of your own home.
- The hotels are "wet" services which means some clients will be under the influence of drugs and /or alcohol. Please be sure that you are able to work in this environment if signing up.
- Please ensure you can commit to a minimum of 1 shift a fortnight - maximum number of shifts a week is 3. All shifts in Brighton are expected to be from 10.30 am-4.30 pm. There will be regular breaks during your shift.
- P.P.E. is on order at all locations, but we are unable to guarantee masks and gloves for every shift due to the UK shortage and delays in orders.
- E-learning training will be offered before starting the role.
- Out of pocket expenses will be reimbursed, (food and travel ).
- Where possible please bring your own food as unable to guarantee local food outlets will be open/available.
When do I need to be available?
|Details||All shifts in Brighton are expected to be 10.30 a.m. - 4.30 p.m. A minimum of 1 shift every 2 weeks. Maximum number of shifts a week is 3.|
- Disabled Access
- Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
Expenses reimbursed - travel and food.
Health and Safety
Induction and daily briefing.
- Insurance Cover for Volunteers
- Suitable for 13 - 16 years
- Suitable for 16 - 18 years
- Suitable for a group of volunteers
Support on Offer
On - site support
- This role is adaptable for different abilities