In Memoriam Secretary
British Heart Foundation (Brighton, Hove Adur & Worthing)
In Memoriam giving is an important way for families affected by heart and circulatory diseases to remember a loved one and provide a vital source of funds to support the work of the BHF. This is a very special and personal way for families and friends to give and it is usually made in lieu of flowers at the funeral.
By becoming an In Memoriam Secretary Volunteer you will be helping to give a personalised local thank you from the BHF to these families and friends. As part of the role you will be:
- Visiting funeral directors in your area and acting as their point of contact.
- Building a relationship with funeral directors to help them understand the impact of In Memoriam donations to the BHF. Delivering materials (leaflets, envelopes etc.) to funeral directors.
- Collecting and banking In Memoriam donations from funeral directors and writing to bereaved families to acknowledge and thank them for their donations.
- Working alongside your local Fundraising Manager.
- The ability to work flexibly and independently.
- The ability to build relationships with funeral directors in your local community and to talk to them about the work of the BHF.
- Self-confidence and a proactive approach.
- The ability to deal sensitively with those suffering bereavement.
- Basic IT skills with access to a computer and email.
- A commitment to the BHF’s values.
The BHF is committed to ensuring that volunteers have an enjoyable and worthwhile volunteering experience. All In Memoriam Volunteers will have:
- A comprehensive induction to the BHF and relevant training for the role.
- A volunteer kit, including letter-headed paper and template thank you letters for funeral directors and families.
- BHF resources to provide to funeral directors.
- You will have support from existing volunteers and your local Fundraising Manager, as well as the BHF Fundraising Support Team.
- There will be the opportunity to gain and develop skills and to meet other volunteers.
By volunteering with the BHF, you will have the opportunity to make new friends, use your skills to support the BHF and also have fun. You will be making a huge difference to the lives of heart patients today and future generations by raising vital lifesaving funds to power our ground-breaking research.
You will be working in your local community. Your local Fundraising Manager and the BHF Fundraising Support Team will be on hand to support you in your role.
This role can work flexibly to suit your availability and other commitments. The time commitment will vary and will depend on the number of funeral directors you are working with and the volume of donations you receive. As a rough guide, the role should require approximately two hours per week.
When do I need to be available?
|Details||This role can work flexibly to suit your availability and other commitments. The time commitment will vary and will depend on the number of funeral directors you are working with and the volume of donations you receive. As a rough guide, the role should require approximately two hours per week.|
- Health and Social Care
- Administration and Office
- Disabled Access
- Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
In line with BHF volunteer expenses policy
- Health and Safety
- Insurance Cover for Volunteers
- Suitable for 13 - 16 years
- Suitable for 16 - 18 years
- Suitable for a group of volunteers
Suitable only for (e.g. 18+, LGBT, BAME, Women only)
- Support on Offer
- This role is adaptable for different abilities