LGBTQ Group Co-facilitator and Volunteer Support Worker
The Clock Tower Sanctuary
The Clock Tower Sanctuary (CTS) is the only drop-in day centre for young homeless people in Brighton and Hove. We provide practical and emotional support to 16-to-25-year-olds who are experiencing homelessness, so they can move from crisis to stability. To achieve this, we provide our clients with a safe space in central Brighton to use during the day along with life skills, confidence-building activities and support them to find housing, work, training and other opportunities.
Evolve is our weekly LGBTQ Group. It has been running for a year and has both a consistent and flexible membership. The Evolve Group is client led in activity and topic and facilitated by Volunteers. One of the young people who attends the group says ‘Evolve is an all inclusive LGBTQ Group where everyone is welcome. We have open discussions on LGBTQ topics and get advice from similar people. Sometimes we chat, go for coffee or watch relevant films’.
• Able to commit to a minimum of six months volunteering (with some flexibility)
• Understanding and empathy of issues that effect young LGBTQ people.
• Can do at least one full shift on Thursday
• Attend the initial volunteer induction training process
• Have empathy with the needs of young people who are homeless
• Effective communication and interpersonal skills
• Understand and practice commitment to Equality and Diversity
• Ability to maintain safe personal boundaries and confidentiality
• Ability to work as a team and support colleagues
• A good sense of humour, and ability to multitask and flex in a pressurised environment
• A commitment to safeguarding children and vulnerable adults.
Desirable (training will be provided)
• Experience working with vulnerable people and those with challenging behaviours
• Basic Microsoft Excel and Word skills
• Experience of running groups or activities
Access to a range of training opportunities and support from a skilled work team.
Opportunity to gain experience running groups.
Working with a friendly and supportive team of diverse volunteers supporting a diverse range of young people
- All out of pocket expenses paid (including travel to and from the Centre)
- Must be able to commit to one day per week (preferably Thursday).
- Centre of Brighton
- No wheelchair access.
- All volunteers have to undertake a DBS check
- and mandatory training before they are able to start volunteering.
When do I need to be available?
- Community Food
- Employment, Education and Training
- Homeless and Housing
- Lesbian Gay Bisexual and Transgender
- Mental Health
- Substance Misuses and Addiction
- Young People
Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
Health and Safety
Insurance Cover for Volunteers
Suitable for 13 - 16 years
Suitable for 16 - 18 years
Suitable for a group of volunteers
Suitable only for (e.g. 18+, LGBT, BAME, Women only)
Support on Offer
This role is adaptable for different abilities