High Salvington Windmill Trust
Looking to get involved in a local community project? Experience of coordinating teams or projects? Interested in heritage? If so, please read on...
High Salvington Windmill is a working post mill dating from 1776. It has been extensively restored and started to grind grain again in 1991. A group of enthusiastic volunteers maintains the mill and opens it to the public in the summer.
The mill is open from 2pm – 5pm on the first and third Sundays from April to September plus a couple of extra Sundays – for special events including: National Mills day, Book Fair, Fete, Classic Car Day, Scalectrix Day, Craft Fair, Carole Singing.
We are now looking for someone to coordinate the maintenance volunteers who play a vital role in making all this possible.
Your role will be to
- Maintain the list of Maintenance Team volunteers (and key holders) and be their main point of communication.
- Monitor the Maintenance schedule and liaise with key Maintenance Team members to ensure tasks are carried out. This is generally done by email.
- Organise a regular Maintenance Team meeting.
- Arrange for a team of maintenance volunteers to carry out the site set-up and take-down on our open days.
- Liaise with contractors as required. This could be on small works or major projects.
- Arrange materials and equipment hire/purchase as required.
- Arrange servicing of equipment e.g. lawn mower, fire safety and power tools.
- Monitor the mill site occasionally to check all is in reasonable order e.g. doors are locked, lights are off, grass is being cut regularly, no obvious signs of damage.
- Prepare the quarterly maintenance report and present it to the Board.
- Be a member of the Fete and Craft Fair Committee.
If you'd like to find out a bit more about the role, please click the REGISTER YOUR INTEREST button, fill in your details and we'll get in touch for an informal chat.
You don't need to have technical skills.
We are looking for someone who is reliable, well organised and gets on well with people.
Ideally you will have experience of coordinating teams or projects; and have some appreciation of what engineers and maintenance people do.
This is an important role within our team of volunteers and would suit someone who is looking to make an ongoing commitment to a local community group.
- Make new friends
- Get involved in your local community.
- Take pride in maintaining a fine, restored, ancient building.
We are at the top of Salvington Hill which is served by a bus but not evenings or Sundays.
When do I need to be available?
|Details||There is flexibility to fit this role around your other commitments. A lot of the routine tasks can be done by phone and email. You should however be available for most of our open days in the summer. And occasionally you will need to visit the site to meet a contractor.|
Where does this role take place?
- Disabled Access
- Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
- Health and Safety
- Insurance Cover for Volunteers
- Suitable for 13 - 16 years
- Suitable for 16 - 18 years
- Suitable for a group of volunteers
- Suitable only for (e.g. 18+, LGBT, BAME, Women only)
- Support on Offer
- This role is adaptable for different abilities