Black and Minority Ethnic Young People's Project (BMEYPP)
The Black and Minority Ethnic Young People's Project (BMEYPP) works with young people who are Black, Asian, Arab and Mixed Heritage aged 11 to 25.
It has been widely reported that Covid-19 has disproportionately affected people from Black and Asian communities. Also young people are experiencing many challenges as a result of the virus and lockdown for example:
- Increased mental health issues.
- Increased levels of anxiety, stress.
- Increased suicidal thoughts.
We have been maintaining contacts with our members and listening to what they are telling us. We are responding to their and experiences by providing increased opportunities for them to access one-to-one support.
We are looking for people aged 18 and over to take on the role of volunteer mentors. Mentors will meet with their mentees weekly for up to 2 hours, and will provide a listening ear, information and advice, practical help and support.
Full induction and training will be provided to help you feel confident and you will have access to further training and development.
No specific skills, qualifications or experience needed as full training provided. However the qualities that are necessary are:
- Ability to relate well to people including young people
- Ability to be open minded and non judgemental
- Ability to maintain boundaries with young people
- Good communication skills including active listening
- Patience, empathy and sensitivity.
- This volunteering will help you feel good about making a positive contribution to your community.
- This opportunity is very suitable to those who are considering a future career working with young people.
- Expenses will be paid.
Mentoring sessions are flexible and can take place when agreed between you and your mentee: face to face at socially distanced meetings or online.
You will need to be available to attend mentor training sessions - more details will be provided.
When do I need to be available?
|Details||When you are allocated a mentee you will negotiate meeting times at mutually convenient times|
Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
Health and Safety
Insurance Cover for Volunteers
Suitable for 13 - 16 years
Suitable for 16 - 18 years
Suitable for a group of volunteers
Suitable only for (e.g. 18+, LGBT, BAME, Women only)
Must be Black, Asian, Arab or Mixed and aged 18+
Support on Offer
This role is adaptable for different abilities
Induction Introduction to mentoring, tutoring, Safeguarding and training to meet identified needs.