Next Step Employment Volunteer
Thousand for £1000 (T4K)
Alongside other volunteers from the T4K Care & Support group, you will assist migrants who have been granted leave to remain to find employment and/or opportunities to enhance their skills for employment.
These steps will have been agreed with the individuals who will be keen to find employment but who face a challenge in dealing with the shortage of jobs in Brighton and Hove, and in the processes of applying for them. You will make a major contribution to their well-being and independence by providing informed support and guidance.
T4K is a registered charity providing housing and support to migrants in Brighton and Hove who are seeking leave to remain in the UK. Most of the people we support are not entitled to welfare benefits or public funding.
By providing housing and support, we give people a stable base from which to pursue their immigration cases. When our residents do succeed in being granted leave to remain, they often struggle to find work.
- Ability to learn the basic rules and regulations around employment and personal benefits. Training and support will be available so you will be able to learn the basics quickly enough. There are other sources of advice on benefits so this role does not require expert knowledge.
- Ability to learn about the job market in Brighton and Hove.
- Ability to empathise with individuals who have been homeless and who have been forced to move from their own countries.
- Problem solving in a joint partnership with the individuals, and in conjunction with other agencies.
- Team working, flexibility and good communication.
- Opportunity to make a real difference to people seeking independence by providing informed support.
- Supportive team working in a progressive organisation.
- Training, depending on the level of expertise, will be provided either directly or through partner organisations.
The opportunities will arise as individuals gain leave to remain. So flexibility is key as there will be some prior notice but the outcome of appeals etc is always rather uncertain.
The time constraints are elastic as it is recognised that it does take some time to find employment.
The level of support required will vary from individual to individual and will be negotiable. As support will also be provided by the key volunteer, it will be possible to plan the level and timing of support on the employment issues.
Peer supervision will be provided.
It is likely that there will be only one individual, or couple, seeking employment at any particular time.
Some monitoring of changes to the benefit system and to the level of housing supply in Brighton and Hove will be required.
When do I need to be available?
|Details||Varies depending on need but is open to discussion and mutual arrangement|
Appropriate for (e.g. 18+, LGBT, BME, Women only)
- Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
- Health and Safety
- Insurance Cover for Volunteers
- Suitable for 13 - 16 years
- Suitable for 16 - 18 years
- Suitable for a group of volunteers
- Support on Offer