Nightstop Volunteer Host
At Sussex Nightstop our aim is to reach young people and adults who are at risk of homelessness before they have to sleep rough and are therefore made vulnerable to all of the risks associated with street homelessness. To do this, we train Volunteer Hosts to safely offer emergency accommodation in their homes to those people referred to and assessed as suitable by Sussex Nightstop. Whilst clients are accessing the service our partner agencies work with the client around their wellbeing and long term housing plan.
Hosts are required to provide a Nightstop guest with a warm welcome, an evening meal, washing facilities, a bed for the night, breakfast and most importantly, a listening ear or a ‘bit of space’ whichever is required.
In return, we offer full training and 24 hour support, payment of expenses incurred and an opportunity to make a positive difference to the lives of local people experiencing homelessness.
- A good understanding of boundaries
- Ability to be non-judgemental and treat all clients with sensitivity and respect, whatever their backgrounds, opinions, cultural and ethical beliefs.
- Commitment to safeguarding young people and adults and promoting their welfare.
- Excellent communication and listening skills and an ability to make topics of discussion understandable to both young people and adults.
- Commitment, patience and the ability to engage with a diverse group of people.
- No formal qualifications are required but experience with young and/or vulnerable people would be advantageous.
• Involvement in a vital community project that helps to prevent homelessness in our city, providing access to a comprehensive training program through which you will acquire additional knowledge and skills in areas such as safeguarding, equal opportunities and diversity, communication, behaviour and attachment. With additional opportunities to further your learning in other areas such as trauma informed approach and even University accreditation.
• The opportunity to meet a wide and diverse range of people and through this to broaden your life perspective through an increased understanding and knowledge of the issues facing vulnerable people.
• Access to host expenses at a rate of £10 per night, or £12.50 over a weekend or if you provide a packed lunch.
Delivering this role requires the following key tasks when you host as well as a willingness to fully participate in the administrative tasks that are necessary for Sussex Nightstop to adhere to Nightstop UK quality standards.
Each time you host a Nightstop guest you’ll need to:
- Liaise with the Coordinator to agree the practicalities of the hosting arrangement with guest
- Provide a warm welcome
- Prepare an evening meal
- Communicate a time when your guest is expected to leave in the morning
- Provide laundry where possible
- Provide access to washing facilities
- Clean, warm and safe room
- Provide breakfast
- Prepare a packed lunch if required
You’ll also need to be available for/provide:
- A commitment to initial training over two Saturdays as part of the recruitment process as well as refresher and ongoing training and yearly supervisions with a coordinator
- A brief check-in phone call with a coordinator every morning after a guest has stayed with you
- To present relevant ID and consent to a new DBS check every three years
- A yearly health and safety risk assessment at your home, carried out by a member of the Nightstop staff.
When do I need to be available?
|Details||In order to meet the needs of our clients and the service to run effectively, we require a consistent level of availability from our hosts. We would require you to offer flexible nights based on your availability as agreed with the Nightstop Coordinator each week. Most hosts offer a minimum of 2-3 nights per week, including weekends.|
- Black and Minority Ethnic Communities
- Civic Responsibility and Communities
- Emergency Response
- Homeless and Housing
- Lesbian Gay Bisexual and Transgender
- Mental Health
- Young People
- Supporting People and Befriending
Suitable only for (e.g. 18+, LGBT, BAME, Women only)
- Disabled Access
- Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
- Health and Safety
- Insurance Cover for Volunteers
- Suitable for 13 - 16 years
- Suitable for 16 - 18 years
- Support on Offer