One-to-one befriending and companionship
Creating Connections is a new and exciting prevention service for those aged 65 and over. It aims to reduce loneliness and isolation in Worthing through companionship, shared interests, and community participation.
The one-to-one befriender role is a flexible and enjoyable opportunity to spend time providing emotional support and companionship to an older person and connect them to others in their community. It will involve:
- Supporting an individual person for an agreed period of time, at a mutually agreeable time and location.
- Make regular phone contact and/or meet the individual by home visiting.
- To build up and maintain a close and supportive relationship to help the person to rediscover social skills and increase confidence.
- To provide company and friendship, assist with shopping, go for a walk and share activities.
- To provide information and assistance to enable people to create connection with other people
- Simple record keeping.
We are looking for friendly and reliable people who:
- Have great listening skills and an ability to communicate with a range of different people.
- Can empathise with older people who are feeling lonely or isolated.
- Have a non-judgemental attitude and is accepting of people's differences.
- Have some knowledge of local services in Worthing area.
- Can role model our Values, maintain confidentiality and comply with appropriate policies.
- Can work unsupervised in the local community (support and training will be provided).
- Can provide satisfactory DBS Check.
- Making a difference to somebody's world, making them smile.
- Building friendships and reducing own isolation.
- Enjoyment and personal achievement.
This role will involve building relationships over time so an ability to:
- commit to meeting regularly for a number of weeks at a mutually convenient time
- travel to different homes, so access to transport will needed.
When do I need to be available?
- Older People
- Supporting People and Befriending
This is in people's homes so we are unable to ensue disabled access
- Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
- Health and Safety
- Insurance Cover for Volunteers
- Suitable for 13 - 16 years
- Suitable for 16 - 18 years
- Suitable for a group of volunteers
- Support on Offer
- This role is adaptable for different abilities