Peer Mentors Homeless / Substance Misuse
Change, Grow, Live (CGL)
We are looking for people with past lived experience of homelessness, living in supported accommodation, or substance misuse issues, or substance misuse and offending issues, who would like to give back by volunteering their time to support others currently experiencing these difficulties. Our roles are matching roles, and you work 1:1 with clients who need that added support to navigate services, set and achieve goals, and move successfully through these pathways. In return, you will be given gold standard training, a high level of ongoing support for your own development, and will be part of a strong team in CGL Brighton Mentoring Service.
- Lived experience of either Homelessness / Substance Misuse / Substance Misuse and offending
- Good communication skills
- Reliable and consistent
- Be in a place to be able to support others
- A commitment to your own development
- An understanding of boundaries / why we need them
- Work well in a team.
- Build your confidence and skills and gain experience.
- Drawing from your own experience to help others.
- Being supported to achieve your own goals.
- Ensuring that you feel ready to volunteer and help others
- Training runs for 1 day a week, for 7 weeks
- We require all volunteers to do DBS applications (we help with this)
- Once your role starts, it's to do outreach, so meeting clients out in the community
- Roles are also available within CGL Brighton and Hove services which you can do on top of the matching
- There are lots of opportunities to build on your own skills.
When do I need to be available?
Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
Health and Safety
Insurance Cover for Volunteers
Suitable for 13 - 16 years
Suitable for 16 - 18 years
Suitable for a group of volunteers
Suitable only for (e.g. 18+, LGBT, BAME, Women only)
Support on Offer
This role is adaptable for different abilities