Social Ping! and Short Tennis - Session Assistant
Brighton and Hove City Council
Our Social Ping! and Short Tennis session takes place weekly on Wednesday mornings at King Alfred Leisure Centre, from 10:30am to 12pm. It is a fun, coach-led table tennis and short tennis session for over 50s and for all levels.
The volunteer role specifically involves:
- Assisting our coach with taking the register and session payment
- Helping newcomers to complete registration forms
- Helping to get out and set up kit for the session
- Joining players to make up teams and supporting them to take part
- Helping to tidy up and put kit away after the session
- Encouraging participants to keep attending and to bring a friend
- Giving out leaflets and information about other healthy lifestyle opportunities.
For those with some coaching experience, the role can also involve assisting the coach with the session.
We are looking for someone who is friendly, enthusiastic and reliable, and with an ability to engage with adults of all ages. An interest in health and physical activity would be beneficial. Many of our participants are new to exercise or have a range of health conditions so need support and encouragement to build confidence in order to regularly attend.
The role may suit you if you are interested in gaining experience in sports coaching and delivery, admin or public engagement. You might already be involved in a sports leader programme, or studying sport at college, although this is not a requirement. Or you may be looking for a fun volunteering opportunity during retirement.
There may be opportunities to expand your volunteering role within the team dependent on experience and qualifications. You can also take part in the session and play if not assisting the coach.
- Opportunity to make friends and meet new people
- Opportunity to play table tennis and short tennis and improve your skills
- Experience in physical activity session delivery
The venue is well served by the 700 bus along the seafront, and by buses running along Church Road /New Church Road in Hove (1, 1A, 6, 49). Google maps link to venue: https://goo.gl/maps/EWosLVTVWjx
When do I need to be available?
Where does this role take place?
King Alfred Leisure Centre
- Disabled Access
- Equal Opportunities Policy
- Health and Safety
A short induction will be provided at the first session.
- Insurance Cover for Volunteers
- Suitable for a group of volunteers
- Support on Offer
We offer a variety of training for volunteers, including First Aid and training related to health and wellbeing.